Hello, I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

My mother has former been on the anti psychotic medication called Zyprexa, after going on this medication she put on weight, and started acting weird.

She is not on the medication anymore, she has not gotten much better after going off of it.

She has problems with social behavour, she speaks differently, sort of like a child if I were to describe it. She is almost incapable of taking care of her self, She acts more instinctual, and less as a human beeing. She has no control over her ecconomy and if she gets money, she will just use everything without thinking about the fact that she has bills to pay. She does shower though and thats a good thing, but her apartment is a real mess, she doesnt clean or anything and I cant go visit her because of the state of her apartment.

There is something wrong with her and I am afraid that she has gotten damaged by the Zyprexa drug she was on, because she was not like this befor going on that medication, so im asking if this is a possibility that this drug has damaged her brain cells in some way maybe ?

I am left thinking about her a lot because of her condition, when she comes visit me I always give her food and stuff and ask if she eats enough, I am afraid for her all the time, that something some day may happen to her because of her current mental state.

What should I do ? Please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 16th, 2009
It wrote ill try to keep this as short as possible, I dont know why it says suckers:(
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2009
Supporter
Is Zyprexa an anti-depressant? If so, some anti-depressants have been known to cause changes in mental behavior. I have been taking Lexapro since 2005 and even if I wanted to, I could not go off it. I took it in the beginning for minor depression in the mornings and when I tried to ween off the medication I am a totally different person. My heart goes out to you and your mother because dealing with mental illness of any kind is very difficult. If your mother is unable to care for herself and may be in danger you might want to check within the community to see what is available for her as far as maybe living in a group home where she won't be alone. You also might want to go with her to her next psychiatrist appt. to discuss her meds. or possible residency where she is not alone. Her psychiatrist may be a good place to start. The most difficult thing about this situation is that you know what is good for her but she may not and if she isn't willing to go a step further with a new living plan, there is not much you can do.

If you need to talk, I am a supporter here so please be sure to contact me.
|

replied June 16th, 2009
Hey wendyrs, thanks for your respons, it's very much apriciated. I would like to clear one thing up about what you said, she was like this even when she was on the medication. Zyprexa is a anti psychotic medication, I dont know if it works as anti depressant, I should probably check that out.

I am sort of beating my self up for not beeing nice to her when we lived togheter, maybe you know what it can do to a person when someone you live with totally destruct your living conditions, I think about this a lot and ive decided that im gonna help her out in every possible way that I can.

Im gonna find out wheter or not she is still seeing her former psychiatrist and maybe we can schedual a new meeting for her where I will go with her, to further discuss her possibilities.
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2009
Supporter
I wish you luck and I think your mother is very lucky to have you for a daughter. Keep us posted!
|

replied June 16th, 2009
son Smile
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2009
Supporter
Oh! I'm sorry..LOL
|
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....