Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Zopiclone addiction during pregnancy (Page 1)

I am approx. 8 weeks pregnant and I have been taking Zopiclone for about 7 years now. My Doctor wants me to wean off slowly, as I often have to take four 7.5's to fall asleep, and another four when I wake up in the middle of the night. I also take them for migraines, as they are the only thing that will let me sleep through the pain. When I have tried to go off them, even gradually, I suffer withdrawal that I can only associate with someone on something much worse. I am a puddle of anxiety and tremors and a very alarming sense of "derealization" that makes me feel like I am going insane. It may sound far-fetched, but it truly feels that bad. Without them, I don't sleep at all--I can go for days on end.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Carrie
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Staringgirl
|

replied February 1st, 2010
I'd love to hear any replies to this thread, as I too am on Zopiclone and am 7 to 8 weeks pregnant. I take 7.5 every night to fall asleep. Without it, I would not/cannot fall asleep at all and would go weeks to months.

I wish I had any news for you, but I don't. Please let me know if you find out anything.
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
I met with my Doctor about this yesterday. Unfortunately, they can't market it as a "safe" drug during pregnancy, as there are simply not enough case studies (they can't purposely give women the drug and see what happens to the baby). There is also no evidence that this drug causes any harm, especially at the dose you are taking. The first and third trimester are the highest-risk times to be taking anything-the first can cause problems regarding development, and the third can create an addiction for the baby.

I really wish they had a better solution for sleep during pregnancy. My doctor is trying to transition me from Zopiclone to Trazodone, though it doesn't work nearly as well as Zop.
Then, I am to try going off both for my third trimester.

My Doctor also assured me that there is a risk to benefit issue, and if you are someone who just can't sleep, that in itself can be an issue for the baby-rest is very important. I will keep researching and let you know if I find anything else.
Sorry to hear you are in the same boat.
|

replied April 13th, 2010
I am so glad I have found this post! I am starting my 3rd trimester and I have been taking zopiclone 7.5 mg for over a year. I also take half a pill in the morning most times to sleep longer because after 6-7 hours I''m usually still tired. I''ve had my ultrasound at 5 months and everything was perfect so I can partly reassure you concerning the risks. I just feel immensely guilty to have to take this medication. One doctor told me this pill is probably more of a placebo for me and that I could quit easily. He does not seem to understand how real insomnia can be as I have spent days on end too in the past without sleep. I cannot imagine going through that as pregnant as I am.

I am going to try to wean off the medication during the 3rd trimester but am scared of not sleeping. So I guess it comes down to insomnia vs. guilt/risks.

Best of luck to all of you and I sympathise with your situation. It feels good not to feel so alone.
|

replied June 2nd, 2010
zopiclone/pregnancy/clonazepam
just wondering how your delivery went? as I too, sporadic zop user for insomnia, as well as, clonazepam - neither of which I have taken regularly throughout my 2 and a half month pregnancy, and when I have taken them - just half. I have major anxiety, just not sure if I should risk a half a pill here there (zop, not clon), as I am desperate for sleep, but protective of baby - and we both need our rest.
|

replied October 5th, 2010
sleep
i have insomina and it only gets worse when the baby is born. The baby will keep you up on end and you cant breastfeed while taking zopiclone. I would try and deal with the insomina now while pregnant and hopefully when baby arrives when you yourself will really need the rest the insomnia will be gone or at least better. I suffer as well so I know your pain.....no sleep sucks!!!
|

replied October 7th, 2010
Have you tried L-Tryptophan?! Take two 1gram tablets at bedtime...it's a natural way to fall asleep and it works!! You may have some vivid scary dreams on occassion, however, it is safe if you are pregnant i think. Ask your doctor to prescribe you L-Tryptophan...i used it to wean myself off of zopiclone...it also raises serotonin levels and stabilizes mood so it has some two fold pleasant effects there. Good luck!
Please let me know how it goes for you!
|

replied October 24th, 2011
I will ask my do for this, do they have it in Newzealand do you know?
|

replied October 25th, 2010
Its strange to say but its nice to know I'm not the only person! I felt like I was the only person in the world who was like this, its very scary knowing I'm pregnant & still taking zopiclone but I've been taking 2-3 7.5mgs every day for the past 3yrs & I can't even explain how ill I feel if I don't take one. I took it through my 2nd pregnancy & have a very happy healthy 10 month old boy, I just think its a case of its one of those things they advise you not to take as it 'may' cause problems. But apparently zopiclone is such a mild sleeping tablet they say its more of a muscle relaxant as I suffer from anxiety aswell as insomnia, please post anything if anyone knows of any risks but I don't think we need to worry too much. Kelly
|

replied September 27th, 2012
sleeping pills
so its safe to take zopiclone while 16 weeks pregnant thanks everyone x
|

replied November 24th, 2010
Hi i got insomnia with my first pregnancy. I didnt sleep at all until my thrid trimester where i was beyond myself as i was also suffering from morning and night sickness throughout my pregnancy, which i have now put down to fatigue. My Dr gave me zopiclone and this did the trick, i would only take half but sometimes i needed more. My boy is now 14 mths and is smart, healthy and strong. He is also a terrible sleeper..lol Only started to sleep through the night after 11mths....but i feek this is just his nature, my genes full of energy... i did find while breast feeding i slept really well because your in this deep sleep, when you get up throug the night your occupied with your little one so i had more broken sleep but it was still quality sleep.
Now i am pregnant again and the insomnia has returned, i didnt think twice this time went straight to the doctors and got a heap more I take them most nights im in my second tri now and scans show no problems with baby. i do also feel guilty but seriously my little toddler needs me and i also work too so not having any sleep for days on end is just silly. so now when i feel guilty i just tell myself, its not cocaine, its prescribed by my doctor and il start by half a tab then increase if i have to. If anybody has any help with getting the horrible taste to go the next day id appreciate that x Karen x
|

replied October 11th, 2012
EXTREMELY helpful. Thank you so much for your post.

I have just found out that I am 6 weeks pregnant yesterday and have been extremely worried at having sporadically been taking 7.5mg zopliclone over the last 2 months more regularly than usual.

(everyone sharing their experiences on this site is greatly appreciated)
|

replied January 27th, 2011
zopiclone in pregnancy
I have been on zopiclone for 5 years now. I had been taking two 7.5 at bed and using during the day as curiously they made feel invigorated (?!) In total around 4x7.5mg per 24 hours. Then I became pregnant unexpectedly. I managed to reduce my dose to just 3.75 taken at night - my doctor was good but filled with guilt of anyone knowing I was on these I lied to him saying i was off them completely, then started buying them over the internet.
Throughout my pregnancy I felt enormous guilt inflicting drugs on my baby - 'my zopiclone baby'.
A planned home birth resulted in a perfect girl, smallish my others followed the typical weight increment women tend to experience, ie they get bigger each time.
1. 6 lb 11 oz
2. 7 lb 6 oz
3. 8 lb 3 oz
4. 6 lb 8 oz (zopiclone)
My midwife commented on my small placenta saying it was however health, as well as the very long cord - apparently a feature with benzo addict mothers).
No one suspected or said anything, thinking it was a simple quirk, not even my husband knew or knows to this day.
My daughter is 4 now, is very intelligent, normal milestones etc. However has problems with controlling her temper, this could just be unrelated but I still feel the terrible guilt and wonder if it was the zopiclone......
Talking of which, I STILL take, now up to 7.5 mg as i enjoy the buzz but only at night now.
I have never shared this with anyone but seeing these posts I felt compelled to share it.
People can draw their own conclusions to this story. From my observations I haven't seen any effects on my daughter, other than her placenta size/cord length, but she is only 4. I pray she doesn't find herself infertile, I cant continue as speculating terrifies me and all i can do is remain positive. I cannot change anything now, I did manage to cut down to a minimal dose. I did try .
Good luck all of you
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2011
Zopiclone do not have the danger associated with cleft palate and other abnormalities that Benzodiazepines can cause which sux because i take them and have had to stop because i might be pregnant and failing that am trying with hubby for a baby. Zopiclone however i was told was not major risk as it would mean looking for antihistamines and other "safer" drugs which have little evidence in drug trials on pregnancy as well.
It sounds like you will be fine but lay off the clonazepam they are no good anyway, i have taken them on and off now for years and am glad to be free of them finally but i do not think zopiclone is that dangerous, its Category B and antidepressants (SSRI's/SNRI/TCA) medications are all Category C
|

replied July 20th, 2011
Zopiclone (Imovane et al), a cyclopyrrolone derivative, is a short-acting hypnotic.1 Although structurally unrelated, it has a pharmacologic profile similar to that of benzodiazepines. Zopiclone is currently available in Canada but not in the United States.

Following oral administration, the drug is rapidly absorbed, with a bioavailability of approximately 80% and an elimination half-life that ranges from 3.5 to 6.5 hours.2 Zopiclone is well tolerated and effective and is a suitable alternative to benzodiazepines for short-term treatment of insomnia.3 Rebound insomnia is substantially less frequent with zopiclone compared with hypnotic benzodiazepines. Zopiclone does not have high potential for dependence or abuse,4 and it has anticonvulsant, muscle relaxant, and sedative properties.
for more i recomend you:go to "genaturals"
|

replied September 4th, 2011
Hi all,

So glad I found this forum as seriously reduced my concerns about taking Zopiclone while pregnant. I have been taking this drug since 16 weeks and am now about 24 weeks. Had both scans and my baby is completely healthy and normal so this also eases my concerns a bit. Have been taking 3.5mg between 2 and 4 times a night but have been trying to take less. And hope to try and stop for the last 3 months although as will still be working and was not nearly getting enough sleep before am not sure I will be able to cope without them so will see. My consultant is great and sympathetic unlike many doctors I have seen she says there is no evidence that the drug really causes any harm to the baby but equally there is just not much research on it as is a new drug. So I have said they can report findings from my pregnancy. Also the psychological effect of no sleep and exhaustion does appear have a negative effect on pregnancy if prolonged and can lead to serious mental health problems.
|

replied October 23rd, 2011
Wow I cant belive how many other plp rely on this! I have been taking it off and on for 3 years. I have just found out I'm am pregnant and am freaking out that i have to give them up as i dnt sleep at all without them. I am suprised the doc would still prescribe them when your pregnant as some of you have said here. I really would just like to find a more natural sleep aid but it needs to work! However I noticed Zopiclone has stopped working for me over the last few weeks and had to get amitrips instead. Has anyone else noticed they stop working after awhile? I'm so confused what to do, to stop taking this med or not!
|

replied October 24th, 2011
I'm still taking them and i am 28 weeks
|

replied November 26th, 2011
I have taken zopiclone religiously for 8 years now. I would have told you with complete certainty (until 2 months ago) that I would never sleep without them for the rest of my life. Complete dependency. I know what you all mean. Anyway, about 2 months ago, the last pill and s half in the bottle didn't knock me out and I was desperate for sleep. I googled the heck out of sleep remedies hoping to find something new I'd missed before. No such luck. Then I picked up my iPhone and put the word "sleep" in the search field in the App Store. I took a chance on a free app. Willing to try anything, I put on my head phones and played the "Relax & Sleep Well" App. I didn't last to hear the end of the 20 minute recording and woke up in the morning light with my headphones still in my ears. I was shocked and amazed. Since then, I have used a combination of the app recording and the zopiclone, alternating nights with about the same effect. Actually, I find I fall asleep much quicker on the nights I use the app. I never thought ANYthing else would help me. This proved me wrong and, naturally, is completely safe for baby!!! It's worth a try!! Good luck and Good night all!
|

replied December 5th, 2011
Really very heplful to find information like that. I have been taking Zopiclone also during my pregnancy (at the moment (15+2), but not every day.
But usually when i take it, the amount is at least 2-4 (7,5) pills. Few times i have been taking even 6 (had horrible family problems and got so upset that could not sleep)
Can anybody advise me, should i go and see a doctor after taking 6 pills?
2 weeks ago was an ultrasound perfectly fine. Next one is on 14. of December.
Should i wait, or call my doctor right away to make sure these 6 pills that night didnt cause fatal harm?
Thank everybody who answers!
|

replied December 17th, 2011
Hi,

estestest, i am 35 weeks pregnant and i have taken it on and off throughout my pregnancy, on a couple of occasions i, like you, have had 6 when i've been terribly upset regarding something. My baby has been fine at all scans and is slightly above average weight at the moment. I've done so much research and read so many reports and i think as long as you try not to take them everyday you will be okay. Indeed, i have read some occasions whereby doctors have actually prescribed it. I managed to do around 14 weeks to 26 weeks taking perhaps 2 throughout that time, then after that i have had a lot of stress and have taken it more often. I try my best to make sure it is not every night. I am sure that we are not the only one's.
|

replied January 19th, 2012
Occasional Zoplicone
Very very helpful everybody!

I was taking zoplicone regulary (7mg at night, 3.5 middle of night) before I found out that I was pregnant. When I found out, I was 5 weeks and stopped IMMEDIATELY! I didn't take again during the first trimester that is such a sensitive time for development. Now that I am 14 weeks, I have taken 7mg on three occasions. I feel SO guilty when I do and am ashamed that I'm doing something which 'could' cause harm and hiding it from doctor/husband. I feel like an addict in hiding - it's terrible. I feel comforted by all of your stories and feel less stressed about something major going wrong. After reading these posts, I will remain committed to staying clear of the drugs for the THIRD trimester as well. Something obviously could go wrong, it's all about balancing out the risks. For the first 5 weeks (not knowing I was pregnant), I was drinking alcohol too. That has been much easier to cut off!!
|

replied October 26th, 2012
Zoplicone pregnancy
I'm five weeks pregnant, I'm addicted to zoplicone , I feel very guilty... How do I stop? Sad
|

replied November 9th, 2012
Hiya u need to see ur doctor to find out the risks of taking it whilst pregnant then if u decide to stop the doctor will wean you off the safety. Never just stop them altogether because you will have withdrawal symptoms and the insomnia will come back a lot worse. Hope this helps x
|

replied March 20th, 2013
I am curious to hear how everyones pregnancy's went. I am 36 weeks pregnant. Was hospitalized because my anxiety/insomnia got so bad I could not hold food or fluids down. I lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks. Baby was at risk for dehydration/ not enough nutrition. I was hospitalized for a week, put on intravenous fluids and vit/min..Also placed on an anti-anxiety (don't remember what) but I was only on the anti anxiety for 4 days. I was given 7.5mg of Zoplicone to help me sleep. I am still on the Zoplicone which I take "as needed" basically I only take it if I miss a night of sleep..If I miss a night I take 7.5mg the next night I take 3.75mg then the following night I take nothing. I will follow this cycle until my son arrives in 2.5 weeks. I really want to breastfed but I'm not sure how this will be for my son. Any thoughts? Suggestions?? I would like to come off the Zoplicone after my son is born but of course I will do whatever is best to insure my son and I are healthy. I have a toddler at home so I need to do what is best for the entire family.
|

replied March 25th, 2013
Zoplicone and melatonin
This post has been great to read, I've been taking zoplicone for about 3 years. I was taking 2 tablets for about 6 months and was concerned as was trying to conceive. During my 3rd IVF cycle I also took melatonin as part of the drug protocol. (There is evidence it can improve egg quality.) It also helps with insomnia. When taking melatonin I was also to reduce the zoplicone I was taking. (I ended up taking 1 zoplicone and 3mg melatonin). Now I only take 1/2 tablet zoplicone. I would never have been able to cut down on the zoplicone if it hadn't been for the melatonin. I don't think either drug is advised during pregnant, primarily as no research had been done to say its ok (like another person mentioned). Supplementing zoplicone with melatonin might be a option for some people...it certainly helped me. I can't sleep without taking something to help, I agree it's worth the risk when compared with being awake all night getting frustrating that you are still awake at 3 in the am! H
|

replied May 27th, 2013
Zopiclone causes cancer
Hi All.
While originally thought to be a very safe sleeping aid, recent studies show that Zopiclone causes cancer. See the Wikipedia entry on it. Here is the text:

Carcinogenicity
A recent analysis of both U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) data and clinical trial data shows that nonbenzodiazepine Z-drugs at prescribed doses cause an increased risk of developing cancer in humans. There have been 15 epidemiological studies which have shown that hypnotic drugs cause increased mortality, mainly due to increased cancer deaths. The cancers included those of the brain, lung, bowel, breast, and bladder. One possible explanation for the increased cancer deaths is that the Z-drugs have an adverse effect on the immune system. The fact that clinical trial subjects taking other Z-drugs (zolpidem, zaleplon and eszopiclone) had an increased rate of infections seems to support this theory. Benzodiazepine hypnotic agents are also associated with an increased risk of cancer in humans, namely ovarian cancer. Development of malignancy has been associated with zolpidem usage, but the incidence of neoplasm in zolpidem users is as yet unknown.[49]

Indiplon, another nonbenzodiazepine drug has also shown an increased rate of cancers in clinical trials. The review author concluded by saying: "The likelihood of cancer causation is sufficiently strong now that physicians and patients should be warned that hypnotics possibly place patients at higher risk for cancer".[49]
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....