Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Zoloft and medical marijuana

User Profile
I have PTSD and generalized anxiety disorder,my doctor prescribed me zoloft.My question is there any known negitative reactions between Zoloft and medical marijuana as I am a cardholder and typically use marijuana to stop panic attacks.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 13th, 2017
Anxiety and Stress Answer A62748
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

Yes, there can be drug interactions between zolosoft (sertraline) and cannabis (or marijuana). Addition of zolosoft to marijuana can increase side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, and confusion. It can cause difficulty in concentrating, and impair thinking and judgment. Sometimes it affects motor coordination. If you take alcohol while being treated with these medications, then it can have real harmful effects.

While you are on these two medications, please avoid activities that require you to be alert and have good motor/muscle coordination and reflex such as driving or working on hazardous machinery. Please consult your healthcare provider for further guidance. Please discuss all this in detail.

For panic attacks, please discuss with your doctor regarding alternative medicines, therapies, counseling etc.

This reply to your query is just for education and counseling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit and treatment by a doctor who can examine you. Hope this helped you in making an informed decision about your health. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.