Just been prescribed Zoloft about a week ago , 50mg and I advised the doc I had been taking panadeine extra (codeine 15mg/500mg paracetamol) for about 2 years pretty much daily at the maximum prescribed dose (6-8 a day so 90-120mg codeine) for pain.

I am cutting back on the panadeine extra as I realise the paracetamol is at a high dose for that long term use but it's going to be to be done gradually as I am a bit dependent on it now.

Anyway, the doc said it's fine to take both at the same time. The pharmacist said it's fine to take both at the same time. I checked online and have become concerned about serotonin syndrome and don't know if that's a stupid fear? I do get fasciculations and head pressure , but I called 3 pharmacists again today and they all said it's fine to take both together.

Not so sure myself , just hoping for confirmation that it's ok to keep going ahead with the Zoloft.

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2018
Taking zoloft with Panedineextra with will not predispose to serotonin syndrome. There is no significant drug interaction between the two so you can take them safely. long term use of analgesic can lead to analgesic nephropathy. The addition of Codeine in the Paracetamol combination can lead to withdrawal syndrome so one would like to taper it gradually

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Anxiety, Stress
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.