Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

60 yrs old diagnosed with anaemia recently

Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
I am almost 60 yrs old & I have been diagnosed with anaemia recently. At first my hemoglobin was 62 & iron at 5 in April 2011, then after 3 blood transfusions hemoglobin was 104 & iron injections for 3 months. In June 2011 hemoglobin yp to 110, hematocrit .344,WBC count 6.8,RBC count 4.57, MCV 75.3, MCH 24.1,MCHC 320, RDW 28, platelet 363,neutros,lymph, mono,eos,baso,all within normal ranges, with ferritin at 7 with a note: dual population of hychromatic microcytic ercs and normochromic cormocytic ercs. My blood chemistry was iron 17, UIBC 57, TIBC 74, iron saturation 0.23.
Then in December 2011 hematology numbers were all normal range except RDW 16.1 - down from 16.5 in June, Neutros 7.6, blood chemistry iron 6, UIBC 65, TIBC 71, iron saturation 0.08 and ferritin 12. Please tell me if you can tell me what is going on with my blood. I am definitely not bleeding anywhere.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

From the description of your blood tests, it is probable that you do have iron deficiency anemia.

In cases of intestinal malabsorption syndromes, associated with intestinal atrophy (common in old age), iron absorption from the intestines can be reduced. Hence in such cases, inspite of proper dietary supplements, individuals persistently have iron deficiency anemia.

You may consult with your doctor or a gastroenterologist, to schedule a stool test and a colonoscopy (which should be done at age 60 years). This will rule out any causes of intestinal causes of blood loss.

In addition, you should consult with your hematologist, for regular check up of your blood hemoglobin levels and continued therapy with parenteral Iron injections and or Erythropoietin injections, to prevent relapse of your anemia.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Blood Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.