Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

10 yrs of symptoms - bipolar? hypothyroidism? alcohol?

User Profile
I have suspected my husband is bipolar for 10 years. He has refused to see a Dr. He has had many manic episodes followed by depression and then normalness during those 10 years. Recently, he had a manic episode that lasted for three months. He experienced racing thoughts, excessive talking, irritability, uncontrollable anger, unrealistic belief in himself, spending sprees that clear our bank account, talks and dresses differently, sleeps 2-3 a night and alcohol abuse. He recently had a blood test and was told he has hypothyroidism and the anger and irritability could be caused by that. I'm not convinced. He has too many other symptoms that do not fit into hypothyroidism. When I read a bipolar symptom list, it describes him exactly. My question is, is it possible he is bipolar and it or the alcohol abuse caused his low thyroid function? Does the 10 year timeframe of symptoms fit hypothyroidism? Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2015
Gland Disorders Answer A55157
Hi! Thanks for your query on eHealth Forum!

Hypothyroidism can go undetected for years, and many patients are diagnosed at a very late stage. Alcoholism—especially chronic—can also cause bipolar like symptoms. To diagnose a bipolar disorder, psychiatrists or psychologist carry out a battery of tests and assessments. Without these assessments, it is very difficult to diagnose bipolar. You could however query his treating doctors and see if he needs a psychiatric consultation. Hope that helps! Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Depression
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.