Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

10 yrs of meds and depression and anxiety always come back

I am a 29 year old male, and I have been struggling with depression and panic attacks for close to 10 years. I have taken lexapro, Paxil, effexor, cymbalta, seroquil, trazadone, oxcarbazipine for the depression and nothing has helped at all. I have been on ativan, clonopin, Xanax, and serax for panic attacks, which all have helped for intermediate help, but panic attacks always find their way back into my head. I am at my wits end. I feel as though my depression hits me in waves of utter hopelessness. I sleep for 14 hours a night, and usually a 2-4 hour nap during the day because I don't want to feel the way I do. Doctors say that I have major depressive disorder, and panic attack disorder. They always put me on an antidepressant and benzo, but after so many years of no progress, and everything getting worse, I don't know what to do. I continue with my psychologist, hoping that they can help. I have had numerous suicide attempts, all obviously unsuccessful. I don't want to die, but I can't live like this. Has anybody been in a similar situation? And what other approaches are or have been successful in helping alleviate symptoms?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2014
I don’t think anti-depressant is going to work. I have been through countless number of SSRi anti-depressants but none of them work. I think you are not only suffering from anxiety but also from insomnia. A recent research found that there are many causes of insomnia, several of which can be triggered by low Magnesium levels. Low magnesium creates muscle tension and cramping. Magnesium is using as a cure and it works like a miracle. People say it’s like a unapproved advertising.
|

User Profile
replied September 7th, 2014
Dude, straight up.. if you are that depressed and nothing is working it's because all those pills aren't the answer, sure they help with the symptoms at times if at all, but you are looking for a more permanent answer. You're not crazy, you're just looking at it the wrong way. Depression comes and goes, it's not just going to go away. Trust me, I have been through this mess long enough myself. Read my post about simplifying it as I believe you will like my approach better than all the doctors and pills. It's an educated way of looking at it all instead of being put on pills as if you are some crazy animal, it's a mind trick and you can beat this mess every single time it shows up, trust and believe. I get you more than you realize. sincerely UpnUp
|

replied September 11th, 2014
Experienced User
I'd rather be some crazy animal on the pill in a good mood than feel this way
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....