Medical Questions > Parenting > Toddlers Forum

3yr old with down syndrome, loud teeth grinding

i have a 3 year old daughter that has down syndrome and she grinds her teeth. it is horrible!!! she does it so loud and i have tried everything i know of to get her to stop but nothing works. she doesnt do it constantly but she does it about 50% of the time and im so scared she is going to mess up her teeth or start having problems with her jaw. any advise? please!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 6th, 2012
My 2 1/2 year old daughter with Ds does it too. Has been doing it since she got teeth. At first, we thought it was due to her teething or curiosity of her new teeth, but it's still going on. We were told by her OT and SLP to massage along her jaw line to release tension. Also, we use the chewy tubes and she' ll chew on those for a bit and go back to grinding all over again. I hope someone has a method that works to stop the grinding. The sound drives me nuts...and I hate to think her teeth are getting damaged. Aside from the grinding, she also thrusts her tongue, especially when tired or concentrating.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....