i have a 10 year old son who has asthma and im so confused with all the astham medications out there i would like a doctors opinion on the issue concering acute as well as chronic asthma for my son. their is so much out there in regard to medications like oral steroids and inhalers short acting long acting this is all things i found upon researching. I dont have insurance so i cant get mulitple opinions before putting my son a continuous medication. So i would like to know what is the best way and will which medications to treat me son for acute and chronic asthma? please be as specific as possible

Thank you so much

- worried mother
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Asthma is due to a hypersensitiveness of the airway tract to variety of stimuli. People with asthma experience ‎symptoms when the airways tighten, inflame, or fill with mucus. Common asthma symptoms include: ‎

‎1. Coughing, especially at night ; ‎
‎2. Wheezing ; ‎
‎3. Shortness of breath ; ‎
‎4. Chest tightness, pain, or pressure‎.

With childhood asthma, the lungs and airways become easily inflamed when exposed to certain ‎triggers, such as airborne pollen. In other cases, childhood asthma flares up with a cold or other ‎respiratory infection. Childhood asthma can cause bothersome daily symptoms that interfere with ‎play, sports, school and sleep. ‎

Well-controlled asthma means that your child has:‎

‎1. Minimal or no symptoms‎
‎2. Few or no asthma flare-ups
‎3. No limitations on physical activities or exercise‎
‎4. Minimal use of quick-relief (rescue) inhalers, such as albuterol
‎5. Few or no side effects from medications

Asthma can be controlled by taking the regular medications including inhalers. ‎

Typically bronchodilators (eg. salmeterol) are ‎prescribed for regular use and for acute episodes. When ‎exacerbation occurs and frequency of attacks increase a steroids are added to stabilize the airways and prevent ‎further worsening or future attacks. Additional medications like anti-allergy pills and mast cell inhibitors (Singulair) ‎are prescribed to prevent the hypersensitiveness of the airway. ‎
‎
Over time, as the airway matures, patients usually grow out and episodes become less frequent.‎

Your child's symptoms and triggers are likely to change over time. You'll need to carefully ‎observe symptoms and work with the doctor to adjust medications as needed. ‎

If your child's symptoms are completely controlled for a period of time, your child's doctor may ‎recommend lowering doses or taking your child off a medication (stepping down treatment). ‎

If your child's asthma isn't as well controlled, the doctor may want to increase, change or add ‎medications (stepping up treatment).‎

Presently, there is no cure for asthma. In fact, it’s highly advisable to avoid any asthma treatment or product natural ‎or otherwise that claims to be a "cure" for asthma.‎

A good balanced diet loaded with antioxidents like Omega fatty acids, Vitamin B-6, protein, calcium, ‎magnesium, etc will help to boost the immune system and stabilize your son's condition.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.