Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

18yr old seeping blood from nipple, swollen, green discharge

User Profile
About 4 months ago my 18yr old daughter came to me and showed me that her rt nipple was seeping blood. Her step dad works with one of the best breast DRs in phila. and got her an appt the next day. She gave her an in office ultrasound and concluded that it was a clogged duct. Weeks later at a follow up appt. another ultrasound, and at that time it would only seep out when squeezed but was greenish in color. She said not to worry but if anything changes contact her immediately. About 2 months ago my girl told me that same breast got quite larger and was sore. When I saw it I got scared. Her lft was the size of a small apple but the rt one was the size of a grapefruit. We went to the Dr. a few days later and her Drs partner saw a deff. differance. She has extreme pain on outer side of breast and felt bumpyness in that area. No lumps were found with ultrasound and they are stumped. Dont think Cancer. Her bra size went from B to C to accomidate larger breast. What else could this be? TY

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2012
Breasts Answer A37273
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The symptoms that you describe could be due to previous ductal infection and post infection sequelae. Breast tissue also responds to hormonal changes in body, so if she is pubertal age group, it is possible that her one breast has responded more than the other one. Difference in breast size is also otherwise noted commonly in women. If internal lumps, lobular hyperplasia, interstitial changes, fibroadenoma, fibrocystic breast disease, lipoma, pre-cancerous changes, lymphatic obstruction (likely cause as a complication of previous procedure if done to drain the ductal infection) have been ruled out, then the changes can be attributed to hormonal changes. If there is pain and redness or elevation in temperature of the affected breast can be due to mastitis (more generalized infection of the entire breast) or abscess. Discuss about these possibilities with her treating doctor/gynecologist and proceed with further management based on examination findings and investigation results.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.