Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

2 yr old seems to be self harming, hits, screams...

User Profile
ive been going throw a bad time with my 2 year old son. he seems to be showing signs of ADHD but am so unsure. he is full of energy all the time from the minute he gets up at half 6 till he goes to bed at 8 . he hits me screams at me shouts and throws tantrams but he has now started like self harming himself. he pulls the skin off his fingers until they are read and painful and bites himself and hits his head off walls floors or whatever is near. am really concerend about him and what he is doing as friends who have kids have even said this is unusual for a 2 year old to do.i am really scared for my son he also shows no sign of fear. please help i really need advice... thank you in advance and sorry about the spelling

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 19th, 2012
ADD and ADHD Answer A38794
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. In your child’s case, there’s a possibility is of ADHD (attention deficit hyperactive disorder). It typically presents itself during childhood, and is characterized by a persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity, as well as forgetfulness, poor impulse control or impulsivity, and distractibility. You should consult a child psychiatrist for the same. The behavioral therapy is the most effective therapy and does help a lot. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ADD and ADHD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.