Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

11 yr old. scheduled for the mace procedure, other options?

User Profile
my son is 11 yr old. we are scheduled for the mace procedure at riley hospital in indianapolis on the 20th of this month. im so scared for him. his primary issue seems to be more in his head than in his intestines. he had a bowl movement when he was 2 yrs old that hurt him vry bad and has held it in since. when we do get him cleaned oiut he just holds it in and get backed up again. he just last night had a bowl movement the size of my fist(2 of them). he can poop if he just does it. riley i trust very much, but i dont want to put him through all that if there are other options out there that i havent heard of. its been nine yrs of this and his body is starting to rebel(swollen lymph nodes next to hip bone) please help. im a single dad and i have tried every type of mix/dose you could imagine to keep him flowing but he is too stuborn.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2012
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A31530
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

It is common in most patients with spina bifida, with neurological impairment to have chronic constipation due to defective nerve supply to the bowel and bladder. ‎Because of this the bowel can only move the faeces fairly slowly and this permits the colon to absorb more than the ‎usual amount of water. The faeces therefore can become very hard making evacuation difficult and causing ‎constipation.‎

MACE is an operation whereby the appendix was implanted into the ‎bowel to create a one-way valve. The valve allows a catheter to be inserted into the colon, from a opening (stoma) ‎created at the umbilicus or anywhere in the abdominal wall. A enema solution can be run through the catheter, ‎which will soften the stools in the proximal colon and this will help in having proper stools regularly. The enema is ‎generally used once a day, but with regular use, most people can use it once in two or three days. ‎

I would agree with your doctors recommendation, for the MACE procedure for your son. That in my opinion will be very helpful to help him get some form of control on his bowel movements.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.