Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

80 yr old man who has prostatitis and BPH!

User Profile
Iam an eighty year old man who has prostatitis and BPH. Last few nights after defecating I had bloody urine. The more I pee the more blood comes out. At night when I get up to pee it seems to clear up. It seems to be intermitant but occurs mostly after defecating. Do you know what it could be? Thanks.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied March 14th, 2011
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A20828
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you. The enlargement of the prostate is the commonest cause of blood in urine in the elderly.

However, I’ll suggest consulting a urologist and getting yourself investigated. You might require a CT scan/Cystoscopy to rule out other causes like a stone in the urinary tract or bladder cancer.

Further treatment will depend upon the underlying diagnosis. Meanwhile, I’ll suggest drinking plenty of fluids which prevents the precipitation of a clot in the urinary tract. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.