Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

13 yr old is unable to learn, concentrate on keppra, topamax

User Profile
My daughter is 13 years old. She is very smart, makes straight A's and strives to do her best. She loves knowledge. She also plays piano and clarinet. She has epilepsy and had been taking Keppra. It was doing real good, but now she is started to have seizures again. They gave us Topamax to take along with the Keppra. They told me to give her 50mg 2x a day. After 3 days of giving her the meds. she was having a lot of side affects, like not being able to remember her notes while playing piano, shortness of breath, and confusion. I called the Dr. and they told me to stop meds for day and a half and start at 25 mg 1x a day for a week and work our way up. My question is, will she still have this memory loss and not able to concentrate when she gets up to the 50 mg amount? She got very frustrating since she could not play the piano her normal way. She can not handle not being able to learn and not being able to play her instruments. Please help.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2014
Epilepsy Answer A48549
Thank you for consulting e-healthforum. The problems you are describing are typical for this medications. The changes aren't permanent and will subside if she is off Topamax. You should discuss it with your doctor. It might be reasonable to consider other medications since she cannot tolerate this one.

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.