Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

8 yr old is too scared of choking

User Profile
Hi my son is 8 years old and frequently chokes on his food. He gets very upset and tearful and too scared to eat. He doesnt often eat meat anymore (around 4 years) because he is too scared of choking on it. He has slight asthma, a constant runny nose and is very sensitive, seems to suffer from low self-esteem and is often tearful. Otherwise he is a fit and healthy boy. I'm not sure whether this may be caused by a medical problem or possibly just part of his sensitive nature??

Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2011
Kids Health and Pediatrics Answer A19135
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

From the history provided, it seems that your son may be having such issues due to lack of proper dietary habits. He needs to be trained to chew food properly, avoid watching TV while eating, etc.

Presence of irritability, diarrhea, abdominal pain, etc on consuming specific foods could indicate intolerance to such foods.

You may consider to consult a pediatric nutritionist, for proper advice and guidance.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.