Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

7 yr old has no fornix and cannot hold a prosthetic eye

User Profile
Keloid Scarring After Eye Implant Surgery
My son of 7 years old lost his eye 2 years ago after an injury, he has had many complications and surgeries along the way. The main concern is that he has no fornix and cannot hold a prosthetic eye due to keloid scarring - which was discovered quite late in the stage. My question is; Is there any procedure out there that can rebuild his fornix with minimal scarring? Your opinions and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2014
Vision and Eye Disorders Answer A48236
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

I can understand your concern for your son. It is sad to know that he has lost an eye at such a young age. Unfortunately since he has lost an eye, it is difficult to rebuild his fornix other than by using ocular implants in oculoplastic surgery. For the same, a silicone / acrylic ball impant can be used. Although he has keloid scarring, yet there is no other way to help him other than prosthetic eye. The keloids have to be removed first and then the decision to fit an ocular implant should be taken. You should consult a good oculoplastic surgeon and discuss the trweatment methods to remove the keloids and then the best implant used. It can be non integrated or integrated implants.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vision and Eye Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.