Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

12 yr old has chest pain, had ASD repair at two yrs.

User Profile
Hello,

My son is 12 yrs old and at the age of two he had an ASD repair. He has been in great condition ever since and is not on any medication. He sees his cardiologist now every few years. He has been complaining about a small chest pain (throbbing) anywhere from the left middle and right side. The pain does not last long and it appears to come and go every few weeks. It happens whether he is sitting down or moving around. I had taken him to his cardiologist and they did an ultrasound, EKG, and a stress test which all came back fine. The only other thing my son has is constipation-he has bowel movements every other day sometimes every two days. I don't know if this could be related. Any information would be useful. Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2012
Kids Health and Pediatrics Answer A35497
Welcome to e health forum.

Since your doctor has already examined him and found nothing wrong, there is nothing to worry about your son's heart.

Constipation is very common in children and it is usually caused by not drinking enough fluids, not eating enough fiber, or having a diet high in constipating foods (milk, cheese, banannas, etc.).

Children with constipation usually either have very large hard stools or hard pellet like stools. Bowel movements are also infrequent and painful.

Treatments for childhood constipation usually includes stool softeners and changing the child to a less constipating diet, with more fiber and fluids.

Stool softeners are often used for 4-6 months and then slowly decreased to prevent reoccurances.

Good choices of fluids include apple and prune juice and perhaps switching older children to soy milk. Reading food labels can help you to find high fiber foods.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.