User Profile
Hi im a 22 yr old female and for some weeks now i have been experiencing the right side of my neck is a bit tight or heavy i thought maybe its the muscles that were strained because the tight feeling goes from the back and side of my neck straight to my shoulder but only on my right side. I do have a habit of being on my laptop for several hours without the proper use of a desk and chair along with the fact that i overall have bad posture but this feeling in my neck makes me feel as though i cannot breath through one side of my neck and i am out of breath i dont know if this makes sense but thats just the feeling im experiencing and it is very frustrating because it limits the activities i enjoy doing. Also, whenever i am eating or drinking anything the shortness of breath occurs along with a tickle in the right side of my neck and chest, i get dry cough to relieve the tickle and so this obstructs me from properly eating or drinking because of this irritated feeling in my throat.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2010
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A15349
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned with chest and neck tightness on the right side along with shortness of breath and tickle in the neck and chest.
Females of the child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease. You don't have any major risk factors for coronary disease and the chest pain characteristics are atypical as compared to those of coronary disease. So, the probability that this pain be due to coronary disease is low. However, this cannot be ruled out online. Please consult with your physician and have him perform an examination.
However,this pain might be due to a neck problem. I would recommend that you have a neck x-ray/ct scan of the neck done to rule out this problem.
Another cause of this chest tightness could be reflux disease (and you don't have to have heart burn). So, I would also recommend that you try some over the counter anti-acids and see if this helps the pain.
If after this trial the pain is till there, I would recommend that you be evaluated by your doctor.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.