Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

57 yr old chronic alcoholic and smoker

User Profile
Hello everyone.Im medicine internee.My Dad age 57yrs is a known case of diabetes mellites type 2 & hypertensive for past 6 years duration & he is chronic alcoholic & smoker for past 30 yrs. He is addicted 2 alcohol & smoking he will take one quarter of whisky & 5 cigarettes per day instead of my warning.He is on regular medication for diabetes & hypertension & aspirin prophylaxis.3 days back he had bindge alcohol drinking and he had sleeplessness, agitated,restless,giddiness,slurred speech,severe pain & numbness in left arm.I gave him sedatives,he slept that night. From next day morning till now he is having slurred speech & pain,numbness in left arm & leg.He is unable to balance while walking.ECG was normal.CT brain normal.serum electrolytes & urine profile,thyroid profile is normal.His fasting blood sugar is 180 & blood pressure is 140/90mmhg.He is continuing his medication for diabetes & hypertension. stll he is not recovering. pls give me a perfect advice for my dads health. Thanq.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2014
Stroke Answer A47202
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealth forum.

I can understand your concern for your father. Although ECG and CT scan were normal, but other possibilities also need to be evaluated.

The fasting blood sugar is definitely high and any diabetic neuropathy can cause such symptoms. He needs an endocrinologist's evaluation and additional oral antihyperglycemics as well. Other than that, vitamin B 12 deficiency which can cause numbness and parasthesia should be evaluated in alcoholics. Get his vitamin B 12 levels checked as well. His hepatic profile also needs to be checked and hence get hid liver function tests also done. Lastly a neurologist should be consulted to rule out any TIA (transient ischemic attack) or impending stroke. He may order for a MRI or MRA brain.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.