Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

2 yr old broke his femur, a spiralled dislocated fracture

My 2 year old son broke his femur while playing at my mother-in-law's place. She left him unattended for sometime outside when he fell somehow and got injured.

Doctors says he has a spiralled dislocated fracture, and told us that they would do skin traction method to align the broken bones.

However my son is unable to keep still (he is only two), and the bones do not seem to be in line in the x-rays.

It has been exactly 2 weeks today and there has been no progress. I am extremely worried and do not know if his leg is going to be ok or not.

From my research, I saw the most common method in this age group is spica casting, however the doctors told me that they do not do that procedure in the country I am in.

Any good advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2015
Welcome to e health forum.

Your son is very young and it is too early in the process.

If the shortening / overlapping between the 2 bone segments is less than 2 cm - a spica cast is used to align the bone segments.

If the shortening / overlapping of the bones is too much (more than 3 cm) - the traction system to make sure the bones are properly realigned.

Even though the bones may not seem to be in line, once the bone ends fuse properly, remodelling of the bone will occur as he grows up, he will grow up normally without any gait defect.

In your son's case, it is possible that the bone shortening is more than 3 cm, and hence the traction system is being used, instead of the spica cast.

If you have any doubts or concerns, you might consult with the orthopedic doctors and clear your doubts.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.