Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Alternative Medicine Forum

Yoga after kidney transplant

I had a kidney transplant in Jan08 and feel great. Now I want to get the prednisone pounds off and want to start a work out program including Yoga. I am concerned about compressing the kidney in some of the poses and want to know if I should or shouldn't be worried about that. Is it bad for the kidney or maybe good? It is in my right lower quadrant. Any advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper palomino
|
Users who thank palomino for this post: Rupadinesh 

User Profile
replied September 9th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Twisting and forward bending do target the kidneys.

Are you planning to take classes with a certified instructor?

Where do you live?
|

I will be in classes with a certified instructor, and I have previous experience doing yoga. My new kidney is located near my R. hip and is more vulnerable than those located retroperitoneally. I am in California.

I want to know if poses like the rabbit would be good or bad for continued good kidney health.
|

User Profile
Super. Just remember that whatever you go yoga asana shouldn't hurt. g2r

Balansana, child's pose, stretches the upper back, kidneys, and adrenal glands. These muscles and organs are stretched and stimulated, so I'd think that child's pose is a potentially therapeutic asana for kidney problems.

I'm not sure sure about rabbit's pose where you start out in a gentle child's pose and then gently roll your body forward, chin to chest, crown of the head to the mat. To me, this seems to target your neck and shoulders more than your kidneys and hip area.

But double-check with your teacher.
|
Users who thank yogahoneybunny for this post: palomino 

replied October 20th, 2008
actually, I finally got the answer from my MD. There is no limitation on the type of Yoga poses or any other work out for the transplanted kidney. The only thing to avoid is contact sports, like boxing, football, etc. Blunt trauma to the area is not advised, but bending, stretching, crunches, etc are all fine as long as you are completely healed. Let the body be your guide.
|

User Profile
replied October 22nd, 2008
I couldn't agree with you more, palomino! Thanks for sharing your doctor's insights. Have you continued to see a yoga therapist?
|

replied January 15th, 2009
Oh, I never knew that you can attend yoga after kidney transplant. Maybe after having enough rest. How many months to rest before attending yoga classes?
|