Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

18 yo, thrush returns every few weeks.

User Profile
Hi- I suffer regularly from thrush. I am 18 years old and this has been going on for about a year. I have used canastan duo several times but it only keeps it away for a few weeks then it comes back. Also when me or my boyfriend touches my vaginal area (when i don't actually have the thrush)it starts to itch badly and burn after and sometimes i am quite dry during intercourse- can anyone help me please?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2013
Sexual Health - Women Answer A44953
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Persistence or recurrence of symptoms even after antibiotic/antifungal or medication use, then possibility of opportunistic infection are possible that could have started due to prior antibiotic/medication use (due to elimination of the natural bacteria/flora as well as infective ones leading to opportunistic infections), or due to re-infection. Do not delay in visiting your doctor/gynecologist for examination and vaginal swab/smear test to identify the causative agent. Get started on treatment as appropriate (based on examination and investigations results) to help you control the symptoms. Consider requesting for prescription of a Probiotic (to be taken after you finish with taking the other medications) to restore the normal vaginal flora to minimize re-infection/repeat infections. The vaginal itching that you describe could be suggestive of infections, pH imbalances, opportunistic infections, hormonal insufficiency, chemical irritation, etc. You should consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist for examination and to go ahead with getting hormonal analysis (done to rule out dryness or itching caused by hormonal insufficiency), vaginal swab/smear test done (to confirm/rule out infective causes), etc. If the itching is getting worse, you can also request for prescription of antihistamines to help you control the symptoms. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle. Avoid vaginal douching, use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area. Use loose cotton undergarments and avoid use of tight fitting clothes. Avoid sweat accumulation in the area and keep the area clean and dry. Rinse undergarments well and use antiseptic solution for the last rinse. If infective cause is detected, it is important to get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection, and avoid having intercourse while being on treatment.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Yeast Infection , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.