Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

70 yo, Telstar for seven yrs, can i stop this medication?

User Profile
I am taking blood pressure control tablet TELSTAR H FOR LAST 7 YEARS. MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS UNDER CONTROL AT 130/95. CAN I STOP THIS MEDICATION. I am 70 years of age. what is the possible after effect of this medicine due to long period of medication.

regards

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2015
Welcome to e health forum.

You need to understand that High Blood pressure or Hypertension is a chronic condition, and you need to be on treatment for long term unless your blood pressure is normal without any medications.

In your case, your blood pressure is still not normalized, but is under control due to the effect of medications. Hence you still need to continue the medication.

The medication you have been prescribed is a combination of 2 drugs - A ACEI inhibitor and a Diuretic.

Both these medications are highly effective in controlling medication, and ACEI inhibitors prevent progression of renal disease and also prolong life. Hence this medication is highly beneficial to you. The benefits of this medication is much higher than any side effect that you think you have.

It would be recommended that you consult your doctor and seek proper counselling and education about hypertension. In addition monitor your blood pressure at home, with a BP monitor.

In addition to taking medicine, you can do many things to help control your blood pressure, including:
Eat a heart-healthy diet, including potassium and fiber, and drink plenty of water.
Exercise regularly -- at least 30 minutes a day.
If you smoke, quit -- find a program that will help you stop.
Limit how much alcohol you drink -- 1 drink a day for women, 2 a day for men.
Limit the amount of sodium (salt) you eat -- aim for less than 1,500 mg per day.
Reduce stress -- try to avoid things that cause stress for you. You can also try meditation or yoga.
Stay at a healthy body weight -- find a weight-loss program to help you, if you need it.

I hope this information is helpful.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.