User Profile
I'm 19 years old. Since I was little I have suffered a few things: Firstly, I have narcolepsy, and suffer from sleep paralysis. I also get dizziness and fainting spells (although sometimes I can still see just not move) as well as anemia (which I understand is common). On top of that I get bouts of terrible chest pain on my right side when I can't breathe properly, migraines and at times my heart beats irregularly. I was a premature baby and suffered jaundice when I was young, but that's it really. I have gone to the GP about all these problems, the doctors have been treating them as separate issues and I worry that they may all be linked. When I last said this to my GP he told me I might be a hypochondriac and it's all due to stress, which I don't believe. I don't really want keep having it at the back of my mind, should I just forget it or pursue my case further with a different doctor?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2013
General Q and A Answer A45356
Thank you for your question. I cannot judge your doctors because I don't know them. You have to make your judgement. Regarding connection of narcolepsy with the rest of your symptoms: it is unlikely. Overall abnormal sleep structure in narcolepsy can make anxiety disorder and migraine worse but it is not the cause. If you have attacks with loss of muscle tone while awake it is probably cataplexy, a common symptom of narcolepsy. If you have narcolepsy diagnosed, why it is not treated then? Some antidepressants may help you with both narcolepsy and anxiety at the same time. You probably have to be managed by someone who is specializing in sleep disorders. By Andre Strizhak

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.