Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

14 yo girl, found a pea sized lump under my armpit

User Profile
I found a pea sized lump under my armpit whilst showering 2 days ago, it's painful when I touch it but I can feel it under the skin, it's on my right armpit and abit up from the centre, I am a 14 years old girl and i am on my period. What could this be? Please help.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2013
Gland Disorders Answer A45186
Welcome to e health forum.

The lumps described in your history appear to be enlarged lymph nodes.

Lymph node enlargement is a very common sign and can cause many people to get stressed and lose their sleep. A few major symptoms and danger signs can help you differentiate very common benign conditions and from those indicating conditions like cancer and chronic diseases.

Symptoms like persistent fever, weight loss, night sweats along with multiple enlarged, painless lymph nodes may indicate chronic conditions like infections or cancer.

In most cases, benign lymph node enlargement as in your case, will subside on its own without the need for any specific treatment. But some over the counter medications Advil or Motrin , for a few days, and apply cold packs over the lumps. This measure, will help in resolution of your symptoms to some extent.

If you still have doubts, You might also consult a doctor for a physical examination and proper advise.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.