Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

18yo female experiencing spontaneous left chest pain

User Profile
I am an otherwise healthy 18yo female and I have been experiencing spontaneous left chest pain for about two years now. The pain comes spontaneously with no pattern (not aggravated by exercising or laying down etc.). It feels like a sharp stabbing pain just under my left breast and generally lasts a minute or two. During this time I cannot inhale or exhale without an overwhelming stabbing pain. I experience this pain anywhere from a few times a week to once a month. I am unsure if this warrants a visit to my GP. I have no medical history except for a collapsed left lung shortly after birth and I am prone to chest infections (generally 2-3 times a year). Could this have any relation? Do you know of what could be causing this pain?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2012
Chest Pain Answer A35970
Welcome to e health forum.

Description of your chest pain - appears to be due to - conditions associated with chest wall inflammation, pneumonitis and or lung scarring related to prior chest infections.

The chest wall includes the skin, ribs and muscles that surround the ribs. Chest wall pain is usually caused by injury, inflammation or infection of these structures. Common causes for chest wall pain include: muscle strain, chest contusion, and costochondritis.

Other possible causes can be due to functional disorders like fibromyalgia.

For proper diagnosis you may benefit by consulting with your doctor for a examination and a few tests including a chest Xray which can rule out other severe causes of your symptoms.

For the time being taking antiinflammatory medications - like Advil, would help you manage your symptoms. Once proper diagnosis of your condition is done, specific treatment may be initiated by your doctor.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.