Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

80 yo father has had a stroke...concerns

User Profile
My father had a mild stroke past month. His age is 80. The CT scan repot says,
1)Focal subacute infract in right frontal periventricular white matter and,
2)Age related cerebral and cerebellar autrophy with ischemic changes. My father also had severe cervical spodylosis,other reports including ECG are normal, he is now under medication,
1) Telminorm CH 40/12.5
2) Clopitorva 20
3) Parit D
BP varies anyhere in 160/80, sometimes may be even higher. Other symptoms are dizziness, nausea while taking lunch though occational and loss of apetite. Sometime get disbalance while walking.
My concern is how grave is the problem ? Should I take any additional measure ? The doctor completely overlook the spondylosis. Please share your opinion with me. I am greately thankful to you.
PS The doctor\'s earlier prescribed medecine was,
1) Parit D
2) Neuro Gardian
3) Citimac 500
4) Clopilet A (150)
5) Telminorm CH 40/12.5
But now it has been changed.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2013
Stroke Answer A44976
Thank you for your question.
Based on CT report your father has a small vessel disease. This condition is caused by high blood pressure, diabetes, lack of physical activity, current smoking, and aging. Patients may have small, "lacunar" strokes" as a result(like your father). CT, by the way, is not the test to judge how old the stroke is. The best treatment is a control of the factors I mentioned above.
Cervical spondylosis is a chronic condition, which is pretty much expected in this age. All that matters, if there is any evidence of compression of the spinal cord (myelopathy). Presence of myelopathy is judged based on findings on neurological examination, urine incontinence, and specific abnormality of gait. Physical spinal cord compression should be seen well on the MRI of the spine. I hope this info is helpful. By Andre Strizhak

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.