User Profile
In my absence, this forum has gained a new pro-life advocate called TheExaminer. (How deliciously Orwellian!) I would like to open a thread of debate with this person (male, female... help me out here) starting with a proper introduction. Hi, I'm Jenna. I'm 34, live in TX and have first-hand experience with just about every facet of the abortion debate. I've had an abortion, given a newborn up for adoption, and am currently raising a pair of adolescent girls, aged 12 and 15. The order was: first kid, abortion, second kid, adoption. I don't regret any decision I've made and in retrospect feel rather proud to live in a society that allows me as much freedom as I've had.

For the record, I am vociferously pro-choice. I've always been of the opinion that what goes on inside a woman's vagina is her own business. I'm a big fan of bodily autonomy because really, a person's body is the only thing in the world that's totally and uniquely their own. Anyway, I won't go into a long rant about how a fetus, while having a right to life, should have no right to utilize and alter someone else's body against their will. That's been said, and it's only part of the reason I believe abortion should remain legal and (more importantly) readily available to ALL women who want one.

I look at abortion as a humane means of fail-safe, plan B population control. Ideally, birth control would be the MOST humane way to slow down breeding but that's not always effective - especially when you mix human error into the equation. I find it so ironic that pro-life advocates would gleefully "flood the market" with a resource they claim to value so highly. I believe the only way to ever see children universally treated with the love and respect they deserve is to make them a lot more scarce. Is it not a fact that the more common and plentiful something is, the less it's valued by society at large? Look at the steep decline in respect and honor society bestows upon the elderly. Ever wonder why? I think it's because modern medicine has made it so that there are old people everywhere you look.

Having stated much of my stance on abortion, I now ask you this: what would you like to see happen? Do you want abortion outlawed and if so, to what extent? Would you make exceptions for rape victims or in cases where the mother's life was in jeopardy? Do you have any personal experience in the matter, or is this debate purely academic for you? I look forward to your "examination" in the hopes that we might enlighten one another.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank DamianaRaven for this post: motherofhighspiritedones 

User Profile
replied December 20th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Well, I don't know if TheExaminer even posts here anymore, but I can answer that HE (yes, HE) has had first-hand experience in abortion. His girlfriend aborted their pregnancy after he thought they had agreed that if pregnancy happened, they would raise the child. He has stated he would make exceptions for anyone who had a pregnancy beyond their control, including failed birth control...not that it matters, because that brings it all back to "it's how you conceived, not the fetus"...but it is hard to debate with him anyway. Apparently there is only one kind of logic, and that is, as he put it, "logical logic". I disagree (as my logic can be different than your logic, since we all have differing ideals of "truth" and whatnot), but I digress.
|

replied December 22nd, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
Yeah, prolifers tend to be mostly drive-by participants these days, unfortunately. Nightangel is probably the only one that has stuck with it. It's funny, because we really don't have THAT many prochoicers here. I'm starting to think prolifers don't like to commit to forums that don't have a higher ratio of their stance. If the pro-choice participants out-number the pro-life ones, they seem to consider it "biased".

I guess some people aren't satisfied without a mob backing them. It makes me wonder how strongly they really believe in their cause. At least Nightangel sticks around and debates even when outnumbered. I have to respect her for that.
|

replied December 28th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
I don't understand the exception for rape. If I were to be prolife I would not agree with that, because a fetus conceived from rape should be just as valuable as one conceived from consentual sex.
|
Users who thank msrosie for this post: GreyWolf 

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2011
Experienced User
I don't get the exception of rape either. How is a fetus that was conceived as a result of rape any different to a fetus that was conceived by accident? They are both human, both alive, both innocent. What makes the rape-fetus less deserving of life just because its mother was violated? Sex is biologically the same process whether it is consensual or not - penis enters vagina, sperm meets ovum, combine to create fetus and voila! If it is ok to abort a rape-fetus, why not any other unwanted fetus?
So they think they can dictate when it is ok for a woman to abort, but pro-choicers cannot?

Which just suggests to me that it is more about HOW the fetus was conceived and HOW the pregnancy happened than it is about the fact that the pregnancy and the fetus exist in the first place.

I am pro-choice because in my opinion, fetus does not = woman. A fetus and a woman CANNOT ever be equal, because whichever side of the debate you fall on, in the event of an unwanted pregnancy, someone has to sacrifice their rights. Someone has to lose.
Either the woman gives up her rights for the fetus, or the fetus gives up its rights for the woman. They cannot both win, it will have to suck for someone. The abortion debate at the end of the day boils down to who you view as more worthy of those rights.
|