Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

yellow stool, bacterial overgrowth. can anyone explain?

I am a 49 year old female who has had diarrhea in the past after meal. I would get episodes sometimes 3 times a month I would take some for of imodium if it go bad and then the symptoms would pass. In the past few years since I have gained weight it became worse . I have been a wreck lately because a few weeks ago during one of my attacks I notice that the diarrhea was liquid and yellow. I went to the ER with abdominal pain and that yellow watery diarrhea. They doctor did blood work and a cat SCAN of lower abdomen both blood work , including liver levels were all ok. I was told to follow up with a GI doctor which I did. I told her my symptoms of the yellow stools and Diarrhea and she sent me for a diagnostic colonoscopy. She said that all looked good and it was most likely IBS . She ran a variety of blood work including HEP tests and celiac and all tested negative. She also had be give a stool sample that I am still waiting on. I went to her office the other day to have a test which was call a bacterial overgrowth test. I have never heard of this and , the nurse said that I tested positive and gave me a antibiotic called Xifaxan . She said this involves my small intestines and it usually means that the food is being absorbed? I don't understand has anyone ever heard of this . I started the medication yesterday 2xs a day for two weeks and then was told I have to take a lactose test and once I am done with the meds I can take a probiotic called Align , can anyone relate and help me understand this day tow of meds and still yellow Diarrhea its upsetting .
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2014
Thank you or asking!
Your doctor is very right. You are having IBS most likely. And xifixan AKA rifaxamines are also for that purpose.You can take the drug 550 mg every 8 hourly for 2 weeks. Diet and lifestyle modification will be needed. Symptomatic treatment will relieve the symptoms All your symptoms are classic for IBS, three days in a month, post prandial diarrhoea and abdominal pain etc.
Management of irritable bowel syndrome consists primarily of providing psychological support and recommending dietary measures. Pharmacologic treatment is adjunctive and should be directed at symptoms.

Dietary measures may include the following:

Fiber supplementation may improve symptoms of constipation and diarrhea
Polycarbophil compounds (eg, Citrucel, FiberCon) may produce less flatulence than psyllium compounds (eg, Metamucil)
Judicious water intake is recommended in patients who predominantly experience constipation
Caffeine avoidance may limit anxiety and symptom exacerbation
Legume avoidance may decrease abdominal bloating
Lactose and/or fructose should be limited or avoided in patients with these contributing disorders
Although evidence is mixed regarding long-term improvement in GI symptoms with successful treatment of psychiatric comorbidities, the American College of Gastroenterology has concluded the following:

Psychological interventions, cognitive-behavioral therapy, dynamic psychotherapy, and hypnotherapy are more effective than placebo
Relaxation therapy is no more effective than usual care
Pharmacologic agents used for management of symptoms in IBS include the following:

Anticholinergics (eg, dicyclomine, hyoscyamine)
Antidiarrheals (eg, diphenoxylate, loperamide)
Tricyclic antidepressants (eg, imipramine, amitriptyline)
Prokinetics
Bulk-forming laxatives
Serotonin receptor antagonists (eg, alosetron)
Chloride channel activators (eg, lubiprostone)
Guanylate cyclase C (GC-C) agonists (eg, linaclotide)
Antispasmodics (eg, peppermint oil, pinaverium, trimebutine, cimetropium/dicyclomine)
I hope it helps
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.