Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Yeast infection - pain and itchiness ?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...

I've been experiencing some symptoms recently and am unsure of what to make of it. I'm planning on going to see the doctor, but am wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what I might expect.

I'm on birth control and have been with the same guy for a year and a half and we've never had any problems, but last week sex got really painful and I haven't had any since. It felt almost like tearing and hurt both on the inside and the outside stung on the outside, especially after I went to the bathroom or took a shower.

I've also become a bit itchy down there, especially kind of inside my lips, if that makes sense. I haven't noticed any smells, though, and my discharge seems normal - at the very least it isn't "cottage cheese like", as described in most yeast infection symptom lists.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 8th, 2010
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Your symptoms of pain after intercourse, stinging feel, itching, burning, suggest infection. Vaginal infection can be caused by yeast or fungi, bacteria, virus and protozoa. The examination and the tests done on the vaginal discharge will help to know the exact cause for it. If infection gets identified, get your partner also treated simultaneously to avoid chances of re-infection. Avoid having intercourse while being on treatment. Visit your gynecologist at the earliest.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.