Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

19 years old and out of options for TMJ?

Hi everyone. I've had TMJ for 10 years and I'm only 19. At first it wasn't so bad. My jaw would visibly pop out of place but it didn't hurt. Over the last few years its gotten a lot worse. I can't open my mouth very far, I can't chew without hearing the sound of my jaw cracking (and I've tried the soft food diet), yawning is incredibly painful, and so on. I have a bite plate that I wear at night and I've tried using one during the day. It does make a difference but I'm still in a tremendous amount of pain. I don't think this is stress related because its been going on for so long and there isn't much going on that would make me stressed. I tried physical therapy but not for long because it didn't seem to help (maybe I should try it again?). I was told surgery is out of the question because its not very helpful and very risky. I looked into cortisone shots but based on my research it doesn't seem like a very good option. I'm clenching a lot without even realizing it which is a huge problem too..
If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry this post was so long.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 5th, 2012
Hello,

I am experiencing TMJ also and am looking into either prolotherapy or botox injections into my tmj. I've been doing some research on this topic. I'm sorry you're struggling with this, but keep doing your research!
tq
|

replied November 6th, 2012
Experienced User
go prolotherpay...botox is only temp and causes more damage in the long run. proltherapy has a lot of science behind it and as long as they dont mess with your upper cervical area, the risks are TINY..way safer than botox AND prolo is not just a band-aid..it actaully creates healing using the bodies own inflammatoin process.
|