Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Years of depression, will it ever stop?

I'm here because even with professional help, I still can't overcome my depression.

It started as a teenager, I took different kinds of medication for depression and social anxiety. As I became older I stopped seeing doctors and taking any medication. I created a social life for myself, had and have good friends and would say I am generally well liked. There was probably five years or so, which I lived a "normal" life. There is nothing physically wrong with me, I'm reasonably attractive, and very intelligent. Yet, I have an intolerance for most people and social situations. When I would go to parties, I would drink quietly by myself, in a corner and observe the people around me. This observation would turn to disdain and hatred as I watched people interacting with each other in meaningless, trivial manners. Do not confuse this as envy, as I didn't want to be a part of it. I feel that I gave relationships and people a try, and cannot get satisfaction from those interactions.

Now I'm a 29 year old adult who can find no joy in anything. Most people create a bubble for themselves, filled with family and children. The idea of having a family of my own is awful, and I never want children. I think I would want to be married eventually, but even with women, after I'm done with them sexually, I have no reason to interact with them. I would crave that emotional connection, and when I would have it, do everything in my power to ruin it and become separated. Almost like becoming full at a dinner, the food loses any appeal. Really, I wish I could just remove my sexual needs as they are more annoying than rewarding.

I recently left my well-paying job of eight years, and have shut myself in completely. I ignore anyone who tries to contact me, and generally just keep my phone off. Things in life that I once enjoyed are now stale and meaningless to me.

I get no pleasure from social interactions or people. I get no pleasure from hobbies that I once enjoyed. I have no purpose, I have no meaning. There is nothing that defines me. I can't commit to doing things in life, when I would much rather just be dead instead. That way I would no longer feel this way, and wouldn't have to bother with anything.

I'm on several different medications and seeing various doctors again. I think back to when I was a teenager and how my life has come full circle to that point again. I gave life a shot, didn't care for the results and now want nothing to do with it.

So what am I to do? How can I overcome a feeling that has been persistent my entire life, which now has culminated even worse than before? How can I find satisfaction and pleasure in life, when the things I do and people I meet provide none?

My concern is that this will never go away, and I'll be writing something similar as a 39 year old.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Kay911
|

replied September 8th, 2013
No insight?
|

replied September 13th, 2013
wow i thought i was alone i still deal with it too,it's gotten worse then better for me.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....