i had bactierial meningitis when i was 3 years old and in the past 5 years ive noticed a decline in my health from severe head aches from time to time i have a very bad memorie i cant remember things im very forgetfull im tired all the time i dont have any energy to do any thing all i do is worry about every thing way too much and im tence all the time my back is continuosly hurting in my back and shoulder i have times that ill be disoriented all of the sudden and ive been to th doctor and they cant ever find ny thing wrong they just kind of blow me off like theres nothin wrong with me i was just wondering if any body has any answers about this or some one i could see for it thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 9th, 2012
i forgot to include im 26 now sorry
|

replied December 30th, 2012
20 years later
You just posted my story. The only difference is, I am 51 and had bacterial meningitis at 26. Thankfully, I have 3 great understanding doctors.
|

replied January 10th, 2013
sergio chavez
im 24 years old i caught viral meningitis 2 years ago and ive having exactly the same problems that you have im really tired of this already can u please email me if u find a cure or an anwer for this pls
|

replied March 3rd, 2013
had my leg amputatedas a 1yr old baby im 55 now ive been filled with an uncontrollable rage my whole life last yr i was laid out with vertigo which still comes n goes my back aches like hell i always had simple learning difficulties that have shamed me my whole life and believe it or not i never knew that this disease can affect the brain no one parents doctors ever told me and at 55 i found out 3 days ago i just thought i was a idiot which was almost as shameful as my horrific scarring ive never had the pleasure of walking barefoot taking my shirt off in public or swimming in the ocean ect ect ect ect life sucks and than you die
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2013
Experienced User
Hi. Like any diagnosis, I am always interested in ALL the possibilities of the causes. Doctors refer to it as a differential diagnosis. You can google "differential diagnosis, meningitis" & go through the list of possibilities. The reason I suggest this is that I had severe meningitis 12 years ago where I was bed ridden for over a year. My doctor kept trying to just treat the symptoms & when they didn't go away he said I had fibromyalgia. I finally found a doctor who treated patients with fibro & after tests found I had lyme disease. The co-infection ehrlichia was probably the reason why the meningitis was so severe. Lyme can mimic many other disorders, so it one of the illnesses that should be on your differential list. {Although I must tell you that you will have to have the right lab tests done & most doctors are not aware that the typical tests are not that accurate. Do a little studying on why there is controversy over lyme tests & find a lyme literate doctor &a good lab.} The effects of meningitis can be devastating and sometimes long lasting like mine. I would encourage you to seek a doctor who is compassionate in treating meningitis &pain. A neurologist would be a doctor I would get an opinion from. Keep looking for answers & solutions & never give up. When one doctor can't help, or tells you it is all in your head, find another one. You may have to be patient and try many different meds before you find the right combo for you. Best wishes
|

replied July 6th, 2016
Hello guys , first of all God Bless that you are all here to tell your story . I too had next wrist meningitis at 16 and in now 39 . Was caught from quick thinking of a Fam friend who was my pediatrician and friend of mom and dads. I passed out and was in a coma for 10 days my brain was so swollen w bacteria the mengies hense rhe name meningitis ? Quack thinking of Dox said spinal tap and I was in coherent my fever was 107 I almost died . I thank god daily the Docs said that I was a miracle. I try to be giving daily and please email me if you need to chat ladies I sympathize W the pain and the forgetfulness . But rememeber this we are all alive . I agree w other perosn get all the tick tests done there are so many . Have thyroid checked and if any of you were in car accidents etc have MRI I have spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease Google and see if that explains you / not related but w age comes other issues . I am a book of knowledge on this topic so please contact me . Love and peace Suzie
|

replied July 6th, 2016
Sorry for typos I had mengicocal bacterial meningitis ^^^^^
|

replied July 21st, 2016
Thanks for posting about your long term effects. Since surviving meningitis in 2003--I'm 34 now, I've been dealing with a lot of the symptoms you mentioned, and have been tested for a hypothyroid, hormonal imbalance, etc to no avail.

The biggest impact that I'm trying to determine whether a connection exists is with my long term, constant insommnia. My sleep pattern never was the same after the illness and it has gotten progressively worse. I average 2-3 hours a night--and after countless prescriptions, sleep hygiene habit changes, sleep studies, diet changes, nothing has helped.

I recently found the link below to a study by the NIH on long term effects of meningitis as it relates to sleep disorders:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/P MC2077506/ . It's rather interesting!
|
Must Read
Meningitis is contagious and can be life threatening. Get the basic facts on meningitis here....
What are the different types of meningitis and who do they affect? We answer this here....
Early signs and symptoms of meningitis can mimic the flu. Can you identify meningitis symptoms and know when to seek medical help?...