Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

54 year old woman suddenly experiencing high blood pressure.

User Profile
I am a 54 year old woman suddenly experiencing high blood pressure. I have severe osteoarthritis but otherwise I'm in Fairly good health. I exercise frequently, walking and playing tennis. Recently I started having worrisome symptoms while playing tennis. On two occasions I experience shortness of breath, dizziness, tightness in my chest, and difficulty speaking. Upon rest the symptoms decreasing one away. More worrisome was having these symptoms while pushing my grandson down the sidewalk in a stroller. I'm going to the doctor my blood pressure was 168 over 128. My doctor did an e kg, blood work, and urine tests and found nothing abnormal. However I am not a stranger to exercise and I am being urged to get a second opinion because the onset of these symptoms was so sudden. In the previous four months before this happened I had been at the doctor for small things and my blood pressure was in the normal range 120 over 70 both times. Any advice would be welcome

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 19th, 2016
High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Answer A58484
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The symptoms that you describe could suggest angina and should not be ignored. Visit your doctor or healthcare provider for further evaluation like ECG, etc to rule out stress or exercise induced angina. You may also consider taking second opinion from cardiologist. Look out for development of new symptoms or worsening of symptoms. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/ healthcare provider/cardiologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.