Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

18 year old woman , hot flashes

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I am an 18-year old woman and I am experiencing hot flashes multiple times per day. I know that being overweight can cause excess sweating and I am overweight, but I have been losing weight (30lbs so far) and the hot flashes have not eased at all. I am taking Venlafaxine 75MG tablets twice/day, although I recently switched from Effexor XR 150MG once/day because of a price increase in the extended release capsules. I have had hot flashes with both the capsules and the tablets. I am also on Zovia birth control. I have never been sexually active, however, and I take the BC to help with acne and regulating my cycle. I have been on Zovia for about five years and the hot flashes have only happened in the last 6 months or so (both in the frigid winter and humid summer of the northern US). I'm stumped as to why these hot flashes have come. Thanks for your help!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2010
Womens Conditions Answer A14999
Hi! Many thanks for your question on eHealth forum!

The drug Venlafaxine or Effexor can cause decrease in blood pressure, increased sweating and thus hot flashes like symptoms. Hence discuss this with the doctor. Other than that consult your gynecologist as you could be having a hormonal imbalance. A complete hormonal panel (estrogen, progesterone, FSH, LH, prolactin, thyroid) may be required. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Womens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.