Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

8 Year Old With Bicuspid Aoritic Valve

I have an 8 year old who was diagnosed with Bicuspid Aoritc Valve 1 1/2 years ago. We "stumbled" upon the diagnosis after he had an "episode" one day. We were downstairs, preparing an early breakfast one weekend. I faintly heard my son (who was 6 at the time) wimper "Mom", then boom. He went down in the upstairs bathroom, I arrived about 5 seconds later, he was laying there, lethargic in a pool of urine. I scooped him up, changed his clothes and sped off to the hospital ER. When we arrived, they immediately gave him fluids and checked blood levels. Gave him a few tests and more or less observed him for a few hours. I begged for them to call our Pediatrician, to no avail. We were sent home with no answers. I took him to our Pediatrician the following morning. He was unsure of what had happened, especailly since he hadn't seen him in this state. He ordered a heart test, I'm not sure which one it was, but kind of an ultra sound on the heart. That's when we found the Bicuspid Aortic Valve. We never really found the root of the other issue though. Last night, I found a small lump on my son's neck. I took him to the Pediatrician today, he said most likely the lump is a lymphnode and not to worry, but he was concerned with my son's bed wetting getting worse, the fact that he's falling asleep in school etc. It seems as though all of a sudden, he's changed. There is no explanation for it. Our Pediatrician has ordered an EEG to see if there is evidence of seizures. Is it at all possible for Bicuspid Aortic Valve to cause seizures? I have such an odd situation here there are so many things that may or may not be related. I'm confused! Help!! Someone!! He's my little man..he needs to be ok and we need answers. If anyone can offer help, please do so. Feel free to email me directly as I'm not sure how often I'll check this forum.

Angel
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 12th, 2009
Hi my son is 8 years old,
and I found out a year or two ago also that he has a bicuspid aortic valve. He had a check up yesterday as I had taken him to his peditrician for his yearly check and she said that he is healthy but she still hears a fairly distinct heart murmur, so I took him to see the pediatric cardiologist and they repeated an EKG and an echocardiogram. Everything seems Ok, the Doc was not worried. The point I am trying to make I think is that my son has it seems the same heart defect that yours has but he does not have any of the other symptoms, so maybe he has something else going on that needs to be looked into. Oh yes when they do the Echo they are looking to see if there is any back flow of blood through that valve, in other words to see if it is leaking, mu son's had no leakage at all at this point. Did your son have an echo done? If he has leakage then I believe they are symptoms like shortness of breath, lethargy etc. I would definitely keep trying to find a doctor who will listen to you, maybe a neurologist for the seizures,
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....