Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

76 year old suffered from a mild stroke

User Profile
I have a 76 year old mother-in-law who suffered from a mild stroke about 2 weeks ago. After taking her to a physio, they said that she is physicall fit. Her problem is memory loss, she cannot remember her childrens names and does not know where she is. Are there any cures that you can recommend for her?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2011
Stroke Answer A18832
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

Some memory loss after a stroke is common. But the severity varies with the patients age as well as the size of the stroke and no of episodes of stroke a patient has had.

Memory problems can manifest either as trouble learning new information and skills or trouble remembering and retrieving information.

Other condition that can affect a stroke patient is Vascular dementia: an overall decline in thinking abilities, with symptoms similar to Alzheimer's.

It's unlikely that a stroke survivor's memory will be completely restored. But for many people, memory can improve over time, spontaneously or with rehabilitation.
Meanwhile, here are a few ways you can help. Keeping important items in designated places. Help her keep a notebook of important information. Set daily routines performed in the same sequence.

In addition taking precautions to prevent further episodes of stroke, or falls at home should be taken. Having a nurse full time or to come and check on her on time to time will be helpful as well.

You might consider consulting her treating physician or a neurologist for medications that can improve her memory or prevent the onset of dementia.

I hope this information here is helpful.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.