Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

41 year old male with lots of pain and high cpk level

i am a 41 year old male who began to have pain and inflamation in my left lower back area, buttocks, hip, and left groin about 2 years ago. This all started out of the blue. i have had mri's, blood work ups, xrays, been to chriropractors, 6 doctors, 2 neurologists, had the epidural injections, been to 2 rheumatologists and no one knows what is wrong with me. i have been on pain meds for 2 years. The only thing they can find wrong is that they see inflamation on the mri and my cpk level is above 900. recently my right foot is giving me problems in the heel and accross the top of the foot. i am 41 and feel most days like i am 60. i also recently started testosterone injections, because my testosterone level was 142. good is between 300 and 1200. i am always exhausted and spend most days in pain. wish i could get off of pain meds. The doctors have basically given up on me. Can anyone help?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

It seems that you may be having a pain due to sciatica. Sciatica refers to severe pain, weakness, numbness, or tingling in the leg. It is caused by injury to or pressure on the sciatic nerve. Sciatica is a symptom of another medical problem.

Common causes of such pain is due to slipped disc, pelvic injury or fracture or degenerative joint disease. Elevated CPK levels are usually associated with inflammatory myopathy.

You can try to control the pain by application of heat or ice. OTC pain killers (Advil or Motrin will also be helpful). In case it is not helping antidepressents (amitriptyline), gabapentin, lyrica and duloxetine are a few medications that can be prescribed by your doctor.

Other measures that may be helpful include physiotherapy and back strengthening exercises. Avoid heavy lifting or twisting of your back. This should include exercises to strengthen your abdomen and improve flexibility of your spine.

You may consult with your doctor who can examine you and provide you proper pain killers and medications that help to control the pain (as mentioned above). A referral to a pain clinic can also be requested by your doctor.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Blood Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.