Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

17 year old Male with clinical depression.

Hi my name is Chad and i am new to this forum.

I am very lonely and ive never had a girlfriend because of my low confidence due to my multiple reasons which is mainly people making fun of me all through elementary school and my acne. I also have a very difficult time making any friends because i have Aspergers syndrome. In the past i smoked alot of Marijuana and have developed very strong Anxiety that interferes with my daily activities.

I have also tried harder drugs such as Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Opana and LSD. I mainly used Ecstasy to self medicate myself and i am proud of myself that ive been sober for 5 months. I recently signed up for counseling and have had one session and it went quite well.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 30th, 2012
Hey
Im 2 years older than you, you are only 17 and you havent really started to live your life yet.
So many things can still change for you because you still have plenty of time. You said that you are now sober, so your on the right path. Make sure you stay sober because people only turn to drugs and such because of pain and sadness.
You mentioned that you have been bullied when you were younger, I know how that feels and I know it hurts alot, but since you are a young adult and are not a kid anymore, use the things people have said about you as motivation or fuel to your fire so you can succeed and move past the bad times.
As for not ever having a girlfriend and having a hard time making friends, just worry about you right now. Go and try to better yourself first and I promise you things will fall into place naturally without you even trying to look for it.
I dont know if you believe in god, but all you have to do is try and never give up, just put in hardwork and god will handle the rest.
You are already taking the steps to better yourself, so dont give up just yet.
Dont let your anxiety be an excuse for why you dont have this or that, there are plenty of famous successful people who were told they couldnt do something, but they continued to go after what they wanted because they refuse to fail. So hopefully after this day you will refuse to fail. Make sure your determination to succeed whether its trying to make friends, continue to be sober or get a girlfriend is stronger than your thoughts of doubts.
I hope this helps you out.
|

replied December 30th, 2012
Listen I'm 18 just a year older then you chad. I don't know much about a hard life. I'm not complaining of a hard life. I'm not rich I'm not poor. My parents divorced when I was young. My mom got remarried. Just a couple months ago I lost the only person (thing which ever you prefer) that I truly felt like who I understood me. If I was depressed I had him to put a smile on my face. Now that hes gone I've been more and more depressed every night. I tried ending once a long time ago. Never tried since I don't cut myself. I'd do anything in this world to just be happy. I'm not even grown up yet and I've already given up. Listen before you get to far ahead in life. Only you can trust yourself. You can't give up. If you give up your quiting on everything. I'm a quiter. I don't believe in anything anymore I am as good as dead I just haven't killed myself. I don't know if I would or not I don't think so. I don't have the guts. I'm just a coward. I live every night and I can't see myself making it any further but somehow I found that one thing to give me confidence enough to pick my head up off the ground. I pushed forward. I felt like if I killed myself id let my family down and most of all I would let my dog down. I know he wouldn't want that. If you have to cry every night like I do to make it by then so be it. But don't ever give up.
|

replied December 31st, 2012
I appreciate the motivation, my parents divorced when i was 2 years old and i see my dad every so often. He is 59 years old and had a stroke that put him in a hospital last year and he had no health insurance at the time so were in huge debt. Im depressed about being broke but im not giving up because i want to see where life leads me and have ambition to become an Automotive Mechanic which provides me with a great income.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....