Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

69 year old male , insulin dependent diabetic

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
User Profile
i am a 69 year old male, insulin dependent diabetic for many years, i have problems controlling my blood sugar and just recently i have been waking up on the floor with no idea how i got there. i have also found on waking i have trouble using my legs i had to go down the stairs on my bottom at one time, on another occasion my legs kept moving in and out involuntary. it has been suggested that it could be linked with my liver, what is your opinion? is it worth seeing a doctor? what can it be?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2010
Diabetes Answer A15100
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the problems in controlling blood sugar as you suffer from insulin dependent diabetes.
In type 1 diabetes, iatrogenic hypoglycemia is more appropriately viewed as the result of the interplay of insulin excess and compromised glucose counterregulation rather than an absolute or relative insulin excess alone. Your problem seems to be the same only. You need consultation with your doctor for the titration of your insulin dose in tandem with regular blood sugar charting at various times during the day for which a doctor might like to admit you and monitor your blood sugar levels especially the early morning levels when you are facing the problems.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.