Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

22 year old male , good health , shortness of breath

User Profile
Ok..So I am a 22 year old male. Im in good health (weight). And I recently quit smoking about a year ago. I had smoked since I was 15. But for the past 4 or 5 years I have had this shortness of breath. It wasnt so bad about 4 years ago, but over the past 2 years it has gotten much worse. And back then I always had these extremely sharp pains in my stomach. I dont have those stomach pains anymore, but the breathing is still a problem. It got to the point to where I forced myself to see a doctor. The bad part is though, is that I was in Iraq. So I had to see a military doctor. I was givin a inhaler and advair. Sadly, nothing worked. I got back from Iraq about 6 months ago and this is a constant thing. Sometimes I try to ignore it and set my mind on others things that way I can get a deep breath. But lately it feels like a dull pain where my heart is. My heart rate is sometimes fast, and other times it feels amazingly slow. I do have to force myself to yawn sometimes just to get a deep

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 26th, 2010
Asthma Answer A15668
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. There are many causes of shortness of breath which need to be ruled out in your case. It can be due to anemia, asthma like conditions, bronchitis, high blood pressure, diabetes, hypothyroidism or obesity.

Certain heart conditions too can cause breathlessness. In your case, smoking cigarettes can be one of causes of shortness of breath. It is advisable to stop smoking because it can cause not only dyspnea but is one of the leading causes of lung and oral cancer. The pain in the stomach area can be due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux disease( GERD) but it is important to rule out any cardiac cause as well.

Cardiac tests like ECG, stress echo and treadmill test, pulmonary function tests, blood tests, Hb Levels, thyroid hormones and CT chest need to be done to confirm the diagnosis. Please consult a physician and get these done. GERD is treated by antacids, bland diet, small evening meals and elevation of the head of the bed. If the symptosm persist then medicines like H2 blockers and PPI inhibitors like omeprazole , rabeproazole may be needed.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.