I put this under chronic fatigue syndrome because nothing else looked like a "general health" section.
Hi, I just came across you're forums, and I thought I would ask yall's opinion.

I have had persistent mild fatigue for somewhere in the area of 6 years, in the past 6 months to a year however it has slowly escalated.
The first symptom I had was basically just trouble running. I've played rugby since I was 8, so I have a very good idea of how much I can run. I used to run a minimum of 2 miles per day usually 3-5...
I haven't run in almost 3 months due to incredibly fast muscle fatigue. I have noticed the same in my arms. To be honest I doubt I could run an entire mile without walking a good distance right now.

I went to my doctor, he said it might be Exercise induced athsma, and lack of oxygenation was causing the problems. I was on singulair and then albuterol, neither one helped. Albuterol actually made it worse, because my heart was beating like a jack rabbit.

I thought the fatigue was possibly caused by depression, and a psychiatrist put me on prozack for 7 weeks. This made me feel a little better, but the fatigue was still there. I definitely have depression, but I believe it to be an effect not a cause.

My symptoms I think are relevant include (summary):
-Periods of a few weeks where I have headaches almost every night, sometimes bordering on excruciating, they've caused me to vomit more than once
-This sounds weird, but when I'm hungry now I get absolutely ravenous, I don't know when this started but I feel weak and shaky when I don't eat within an hour or 2 of feeling hungry.
-Horrible heartburn, varying from annoying to very painful, even my saliva tastes acidic during this!
-Very brief periods of blurred vision
-Persistent, Worsening Fatigue
-Muscle Weakness
-Coughing and headaches following exercise lasting up to 72 hours
-Severe insomnia (2-3 hours without sleep after laying down, this is being treated with lunesta, which has worked fantastically!)
-Mind "fogginess," also escalating
-Shortness of breath

Probably non-relevant symptoms:
-Painful sores on inner thigh, leaving very dark marks once gone (I think it's chafing), similar sores in clusters on the center of my chest (here's a picture, it's kinda gross http://img59.imageshack.us/i/chestfar.jpg/ )
-Rare Joint Pain
-Ptosis (it's been there since I was born though)
-Sensitivity of scalp
-Excessive Thirst
-Pica

-I am a 20 year old male
-I weigh 195 pounds, at 5'6", definitely some fat but not a whole lot, I squat 630 pounds and bench 350, but I definitely have a little gut, not enough to be "obsese" though
-I have a severe vitamin D deficiency, it was 13ng/mL, it was 25 a month ago (he has me on 50,000 IU supplements twice a week)
-My blood pressure was 132/84 last time (I think that's what it was..around there)
-Until I stopped running I ran daily, I do quite a bit of physical activity at work and at home, I am at least fairly active. However now though, I have to exert effort to get up and brush my teeth
-My TSH is 2.98 which iirc is borderline hypo, but my doctor says it's fine

Any input is greatly appreciated, I will be scheduling a Dr appointment in a few weeks, I haven't told him a few things on this list for fear of sounding like a hypochondriac. The fatigue has actually affected my life significantly, it makes it very hard to get up in the morning!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 8th, 2011
Hopefully this is still relevant
I have had the same symptoms you describe for the past year and a half. I am a 24 year old female, BMI 18.6, bloop pressure ranging 90/50 to 80/40, previously very active and healthy. The following syndromes have been identified:

1. hypoglycemia (treated by following a strict multiple meal/high protein/no sugar diet)
2. Postural orthostatic intolerance (treated with salt tablets, there is really no good treatment for this symptom)
3. Positive Lyme, Babesia, Bartonella (4 strains) and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (treated with a course of antibiotics which enabled me to walk again)
4. Elevated/active CMV (no treatment)
5. Positive XMRV antibodies (no treatment)
6. Fibromyalgia diagnosed through tender point exam (low dose naldextrone, gabatril, clonazepam, doxepin in very small doses)
7. Positive Rhomberg and tandem walk tests (no real treatment beyond physical therapy)
8. Multiple small aneurysms (no treatment)
9. Visibly swollen lymph nodes, with accompanying fever, recurring during symptom "flares"

Primary care physicians are not particularly careful in attributing physical symptoms to an underlying mental disorder. The most important thing for me was to go to licensed psychiatrists and psychologists who are far more attuned and able to diagnose mental disorders.

However, the definition of vegetative depression is very broad and in fact includes many of the primary CFS characteristics. Frankly, I am not very trusting of a diagnosis of depression based on fatigue, sleeplessness, etc. This is of course compounded by the fact that BEING ILL causes you to limit your daily activity, have a negative outlook on life, etc. etc. etc.

At this point, I would seriously consider testing for any sort of infectious disease/process, start a regimented graded exercise program with a focus on strength building and flexibility, and consider cognitive behavioral therapy to help with activity planning and identify ways to restructure your life to include "ill time" and an appropriate activity level.

If you have any more questions, please contact me. Thanks.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied May 29th, 2011
cfs
I have all those same symptoms as well. I am a 2o year old female who used to be extremely active. I caught a bad virus 5 months ago and since then have had:

major fatigue
depression
anxiety
disorented thoughts
weakness and shakiness
nasuea
annoyed very easily
cry almost everyday
dry mouth
random hot flashes

I have been to like 8 doctors and so far I have had about 8 different diagnosis. Most say chronic fatigue syndrome. I am also low on vitamin B and have been diagnosed with herpes simplex 1.
|
Must Read
What is chronic fatigue syndrome? We outline the medical definition and different types of CFS in this intro section....
What causes chronic fatigue? And who does it affect? We outline the main factors doctors think contribute to CFS in this section....
Symptoms of chronic fatigue are also common to other disorders. Learn to identify CFS symptoms and when to seek medical help here....