Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

21 Year Old LUQ Pain and Lymphadenopathy

Hi,
I've been trying to keep myself away from these websites for fear that I'll become more paranoid about my health, but at this point I just really need some input.
My story starts back in the beginning of June this year. I had spent the night with friends and had a few drinks, but definitely wasn't drunk. I went to sleep pretty early, but was woken up around 2AM due to extreme central and left upper quadrant abdominal pain. The pain migrated further to my left flank, but it was most painful just under the ribs in the LUQ. I suppose it could be described as similar to gas pains, with severe cramping and burning sensation. I wasn't nauseated, but the Parton caused me to throw up several times. I wretched for a few hours, and eventually had a few bouts of diarrhea. I finally got to sleep, and when I woke up the next morning I had a dull ache in my LUQ-flank region and felt generally weak, I decided to wait it out and not visit the doctor. Almost two weeks passed, during which time I had daily diarrhea, one more episode of committing, and severe left sided stomach pain. When I went to see my primary care, she took blood and urine, and sent me for an xray to rule out constipation (not it) then a cat scan to rule out kidney stones (also not it). She said the cat scan was abnormal and sent me to a gastroenterologist, where I was told that the lymph nodes of the mesentery (intestinal area) were enlarged, likely due to a bacterial infection. He put me on metronidazole for fifteen days, and Told me to follow up with a phone call before getting another 15 day refill. Either the antibiotics didn't help at all or the side effects mimicked my ailment, because I felt terrible the entire time. I couldn't get an appointment with my gastro, so I went to my pcp to discuss my continued problems and she told me to take the pills because "the doctor prescribed them for a reason." I also complained of sore throat and enlarged submandibular lymph nodes, and she told me I had thrush and put me on Clotrimazole. That did not affect it at all, my tongue actually looked more white, so when that prescription was finished I called again and she put me on Nystatin. That helped a bit, but my tongue remained white and the lymph nodes in my throat (especially the submandibular and cervical chain nodes of the left side) are still enlarged and hardened. I hoped it would go away now that I'm off the antibiotics, but no such luck. I just had my annual physical and I expressed this concern to my PCP who confirmed the thrush is persisting. She said this could be due to a number of things, but indicates abnormal immune function. She referred me to an ear nose and throat doctor, who I will visit on Monday. Tuesday I will FINALLY see my gastro (I haven't seen him since June because it's THAT HARD to get an appointment)...

anyway, I really believe my doctors are missing something. Could all of this be related to some autoimmune cause? I'm in nursing school, acc I know impaired immune function can be derived from anything from autoimmune diseases to cancer. I'm particularly worried about the generalized lymph node swelling, as this could be a sign of lymphoma.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 5th, 2013
I should probably also note that the stomach pain doesn't seem to be affected by what I eat, although I've had a big loss of appetite and have lost some weight (under ten pounds).
Also, the lymph nodes in my throat are not tender upon palpation. The biggest one is about the size of a quarter and is very gotten with a slight rubbery feeling.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...