Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

3 Year old is Positive PPD-10mm go for second opinion?

User Profile
Dear Doctor,
My son who is 3 Year old is Positive PPD-10mm. We live in USA and went for a vacation to India for 3 months. As per my knowledge he was not exposed to any TB patients. It is worrying me about the Positive PPD.
He is very active and have no symptoms of TB.Now they gave me the order for Chest X-ray.
Can the PPD test be wrong and can it be done for a second opinion before going for the chest x-ray. Please advice me and it is very much concerning me. He is a kid who does'nt take medication even for the common cold and throw up the medication.Iam totally worried. He even cannot sit still for the x-ray. Please let me know if I can go for the second opinion on talk to his pediatrician to do the PPD Test again.

Thanks
DKSB

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2014
Kids Health and Pediatrics Answer A46766
Welcome to e health forum.

PPD test is a very nonspecific test, and it only helps to assess the risk of developing TB after exposure to TB.

In US, it is a general protocol to do the Chest X ray, for individuals who show a higher response in the PPD (Mantoux) test. And it is most likely that your son might have a normal Chest X ray findings.

You can definitely seek a second opinion from a pediatrician who can examine your son and advise you accordingly.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.