Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

5 year old girl menstruating ???

while cleaning my daughter 5 years old i noticed blood, i checked and it was from her vagina, is it possible a hormone change at that age, or menstrual period?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Children with vaginal bleeding that is not associated with normal puberty should have a thorough evaluation by their Pediatrician and/or a Pediatric Gynecologist and perhaps an Endocrinologist if a hormonal cause is suspected.

Abuse should be suspected if there is unexplained trauma and/or bruising associated with the bleeding.

Vulvovaginitis: Young girls sometimes complain of burning or pain when they urinate (dysuria), and although this can sometimes be a sign of a urinary tract infection, it is more commonly caused by irritation of the skin in and around the vaginal area (vulvovaginitis) or at the opening of the urethra (urethritis). This irritation can also cause bleeding, vaginal itching and frequent urination (frequency). Before puberty, the skin around the vaginal area can be very sensitive, and it can easily become red and inflamed when it comes in contact with common irritants, such as soap or shampoo. Bubble baths are also a common irritant that can cause itching in the vaginal area. Another cause of vulvovaginitis is poor toilet hygiene, which is usually secondary to not wiping or wiping incorrectly after urinating.

Pinworms: small (1/4 -1/2 inch long), white worms that look like small pieces of thread that cause itching around the anus (without a rash), especially at night. It can also sometimes cause vaginal itching, which if severe enough, can lead to bleeding.

Foreign body: sometimes a foreign body, such as a piece of toilet paper, can be trapped in the vagina, causing bleeding, discharge, pain or itching.
|

replied April 6th, 2011
everthing that goes on with a little girls vaginal area you all that it is always seual abuse sexual abuse, yall need to stop that dumb mess and i know that it really is going on in this world but that is not always the case that is why so many men is in jail and registered for nothing because of this crap.
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2011
u may want to get her checked out. I was sexually abuse when 3 and had burning, bleeding, and a lot of pain. That is how my dad found out. I was also all of the sudden very affraid of the dark and saying weird things. Has her behavior changed?
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....