Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Forum

24 year old female, increasing facial hair growth.

User Profile
I'm a 24 year old female, overall very healthy. Since I turned 19, I have had increasing facial hair growth. It used to not be a huge problem, I could pluck the hairs and they wouldn't grow back for a week or so, but now there is much more hair (black, course hairs) that will grow back the very next day after plucking. I feel like this is way too fast to be normal. I have also noticed an increase in hair loss from my scalp (not in any one region) when I shower. My hair has thinned significantly over the last year. I don't appear "bald" but I have much less than hair than before.

I had my thyroid checked about a year ago, my levels were on the low side of normal. My ob-gyn said she doesn't think it's PCOS, but my mother had this disease and I'm wondering if I do too. Does this sound like an endocrine/hormonal imbalance? If so, what blood work or diagnostics would you recommend?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2012
Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Answer A41006
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If your mother has faced problem of PCOS, you could also have the problem. The symptoms that you describe could be suggestive of PCOS. If worried, you may consider taking second opinion from another gynecologist and go ahead with thorough evaluation to look for the underlying cause as well as confirm/rule out PCOS. Get started on treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and evaluation results) to help you control the symptoms. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Hair loss affects more than half of the population by age 60. Start here for basic info on hair loss and types of hair loss that doctors can diagnose....
What causes hair loss? Read on for a complete list of possible causes so that you can evaluate and identify hair loss causes....
Do you know the early signs of hair loss? And when does hair loss require medical attention? Get better results for treating hair loss by identifying it early....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hair Loss, Hair Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.