Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

57 year old female , hysterectomy ,

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I am a 57 yr old female. I had a hysterectomy at age 26, I do have my ovaries. It turns out that I had quite a bit of very fresh, red blood when I went to the bathroom during the night. Had been constipated so I thought it was from my bottom, but was still alot more than spotting. When I got up this morning, I had bled on my liner, and did not appear to be from my bottom!! I was still bleeding, although not as much as during the night. I have an appt for the morning, but of course am pretty freaked out. Had bladder surgery in May and have not bled for a couple of months.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 3rd, 2010
Womens Conditions Answer A14906
Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out. You’ll need to undergo a detailed examination and evaluation to look for the source of bleeding. As you had undergone the bladder surgery around 2 months ago, there’s a possibility of the blood coming from the urinary tract. Hence, I’ll suggest getting the urine analysis done.

If there’re RBC’s in urine, it is indicative of the urinary tract bleeding. Once that is ruled out, then the vaginal source of bleeding should be thought of. You might need further tests like an ultrasound of the lower abdomen and pelvis and maybe a CT scan to search for the source of bleeding. A surgical/per rectal examination to rule out piles as the source of bleeding is equally important. Please do consult a surgeon & gynecologist for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Womens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.