Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

19 year old female , first year of university

User Profile
I'm a 19 year old female, and I have just started my first year of university. It is my first time living away from home, and I'm an 8 hour drive away. I do not now anyone in the city, and it's my first time even being in this province. During this past summer, my family and I moved halfway across the country, and my parents are having matital problems. Along with financial matters, and a long-distance relationship, I feel like this has all become too much. I can't eat right, I can't sleep properly, I have constant feelins of anxiety/panic, and I sometimes feel like I am just going crazy. I also started to self-harm. I have had constant headaches since I got here. I have mood swings, I'm anti-social, and get irritable quicly and without good reason. I sometimes feel like I am losing touch with reality. Am I going through a stress overload?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2010
Anxiety and Stress Answer A16362
Thanks for using this forum...

The feeling and tension you are experiencing is a result of your being away from home and friends..As its your first year its difficult getting friends...I will suggest you to come out of your shell,talk to a few people,call home,find connections and try to enjoy yourself...find some engaging book or hobby and get busy,that way you may get to meet new people and also enjoy college..

take care...

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.