my stepson is all of a sudden petrified of bedtime, he has to have someone lay with him until he falls asleep, he cries uncontrollably prior to bedtime, to the point where he is making himself sick, wakes up 4-5 times a night crying uncontrollably until someone lays with him, is very clingy to his Dad (whenever in public he will not let him out of sight or is constantly holding on to him). At a loss as to what to do, it is starting to disrupt our household, we have 3 other children who are being kept awake at night as well because of it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 6th, 2009
Experienced User
9 year old fearful
tammylyn27
Has your stepson told either one of you why he's fearful at bedtime? Is his mother still around and does he miss her? When I was very young, my parents got divorced and it tore me up,and by such I carried around a small blanket for comfort and also liked my grandmother to lie down with me at nap times. My world felt upside down. Or is there something else wrong? he's sounds like he may feel insecure or perhaps he just wants attention. Does he hurt any where on his body? There has to be an answer and the sooner you find it, the sooner all will be able to sleep easier I'm sure. 5050
|

replied April 6th, 2009
He will not tell us what the matter is, he keeps telling us "I don't know". He is with his Mom 3 days a week so he should not miss her, actually when he is at her house he states that he wants to come to our house and vise versa when he is at our house. He says that nothing hurts, only when he cries uncontrollably and gives himself a stomach ache.
|

replied November 11th, 2011
Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am experiencing the same things with my nine year old step daughter. She has been crying every night for over three months now. We are desperate.
|

replied November 11th, 2011
Experienced User
Just me,no one got back with me on the first one. Just me, I hate to ask this question and I know it may upset you, but I have a reason for it. Do you feel there has been any type of molestation or anything going on with anyone toward your daughter? I know that's a heavy question, but in order to go further with this, I need to know, because the next question is going to be something that I feel is happening to more children. And you may feel I'm nuts, but believe me, I've experienced it myself. Let me know what you think. 5050
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2009
Supporter
You did not state the age of this child but I'd suggest that he needs to be taken to a therapist. My nephew has just gone through this very thing. Where he would not talk too or tell what was wrong, he did and will talk to this doctor. Has this child been molested or is there someone that has bullied/intimidated him? My nephew also went through screaming tantrums. After only 2 trips to this therapist, he has made remarkable progress. If $ is an issue, maybe you have a trusted relative or friend that he can go on an adventure with. Just he and that friend to McDonalds or a park. Somewhere/anywhere that he is made to feel special and feels he can trust this person to maybe tell what is bothering him. WHen my daughter was a little girl, we had to spray inside hte closet and under the bed with "monster repellent". A litle something I concocted. Asctually all it was was water and essential oil, but it seemed to work miracles at our house. Please keep us posted. Hope everything works out for you and your family!
|

replied April 6th, 2009
Experienced User
9 year old fearful
Tammylyn27
Fairy Godmother brought up a couple of things, molestation and his age. There are a couple of things in the back of my head, but I need to know his age and too, do you feel there has been any type of sexual problems going on? I hope not. If not, there are two things that might be a posibility that no one has thought about. Let me know. 5050
|

replied April 6th, 2009
Experienced User
Tammylyn27
Sorry, tammylyn27, you did mention his age...9 years old.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....