Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

14 year old diagnosed with SCFE

I am looking for any advise, guidance, reccommendations, etc. with regards to SCFE. We just received word yesterday from our pediatrician that her MRI showed early signs of SCFE, and is being referred to an othropedic. She is EXTREMELY athletic and has aspirations of playing college basketball and beyond. In everything I can find on-line, it sounds as though the ONLY option of treatment for this is surgery, including screws or pins, which also seems to have very high risks associated with the surgery. It also seems as though the diagnosis is made from symptoms and pictures. Are there any other tests to be ran to support the diagnosis?

I would much appreciate any insight or learnings from others.

Thanks,
Concerned Mom
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2010
Community Volunteer
I am not a doctor, however, I would suggest that you get a second opinion before you go for the surgery...Not that it may not be necessary, but for peace of mind...I question with this type of problem if she will be able to be as active in life as college basketball...I would worry about the strenuous activity in this sport...I hope that all works out well for her....Take care..

Caroline
|

replied February 8th, 2010
Hi -
My son is 11 years old and just had emergency surgery on Christmas Eve for an "accute on chronic" SCFE. Unfortunately our primary doctor missed the diagnosis and what could have been taken care of through one screw with no post surgery complications such as AVN, or Chondrolysis, created a situation where my son is now 90% at risk for developing AVN and other ocmplication later in life. He was very very active in playing Baseball and of course like any littel kid, dreams of playing major league baseball is what he lives for. My advice would be to have the procedure done ASAP as any delay could only make things worse. Just make sure you have the best surgeon possible. My son is presently 6 weeks post op and they are also watching his other hiop for slippage as there is a 50% chance that it develops bilaterally. I hope this helps you. If you have any questions, please feel free to write me. Best of Luck.
|
Users who thank dtallen for this post: Baller22 

replied February 15th, 2010
Thank you very much. We, our pediatrician, an orthopedic nurse practitioner, and the doc who read the original x-ray also missed it on the first x-ray. So we are very fortunate, as she continued to play VERY aggresive and competitive basketball, that there seemed to be no additional damage done. Her surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning and she is very anxious. I hope that your son is doing better.
|

replied February 15th, 2010
Good Luck
Hi Baller 22 -

Good luck with the surgery. I am sure everything will be okay. Did they classify the slippage using Harris Salter (i.e. Type I, Type II..etc?). We just had our second post op. visit today, 7 weeks out and so far things are looking good, there seems to be blood supply to the bone, which minimizes AVN risk and the other hip appears to be in good shape. If you have any questions at all, pleae feel free to ask. Good luck again.
|

replied August 27th, 2013
Hi Dtallen

Can you provide any update to your son. How is his progress 3 1/2 years later? AVN??

Thanks

Mike
|
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....